TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 7:52pm
Thank you Frank...
After spending pretty much half the day messing around with the brake light switch, and not being able to get it to work properly. 
I said screw it and I'm gonna have to put a pressure switch in for brake lights. 
The problem seems that I dont have the right parts for the switch and the connection at the pedal. Not the right bushings is what I'm thinking as the switch grounds itself out as soon as I stick it on the back of the booster bracket and get the bolt through everything.  (and that's a real pita with the clutch pedal in the way) Grounds out and brake lights come on. 
Ran the bolt back through. Put the nut on. And said "F" it. 
Went and ordered the parts.. be here next week.. 
Still gonna fire this up this weekend.. Approve
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2019 at 7:43am
Ran into the same issue on "The 69" project. I tried to adapt the Concord brake switch. 
A junction box and pressure switch is simple to install. It'll fix u right up !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 1:18pm
Thanks Ollie..
Right now that's the least of my problems.
Something isn't right in the electrical paradise.
Make it short here.. (PUN INTENDED)
I have one somewhere. It's not a big short. I don't get blown fuses and nothing has let the smoke out. Sometimes, I can get the motor to crank. Sometimes I can get the starter solenoid to just click. Then sometimes, (like most of the time) I have nothing. No idiot lights no nothing.
Did some poking around with the volt meter, and I think I screwed up some plugs on the firewall connection. I have back feed coming from something and I am assuming that it's a ground... Kind of strange when the block has 12 volts. Disconnect the wiper motor and it drops to 8.   More battles ahead..
Oh yeah...
Anyone that might have a nice flex fan from a Jeep please let me know. I noticed that mine is bent. It's a 19", 7 blade, that uses a fan clutch.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2019 at 9:34pm
That's going to be a sweet ride!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 6:09am
You could have a bad ignition switch....
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 10:06am
Thank you Cam..
I am working on it..
I was able to get the block apart with out removing the wiring harness like I did last time. So I can use the battery to supply power. I also have a 120 A/C box that converts 120 A/C to 14 D/C.
This is what I have discovered so far.
If I use the big red wire that supplies power to the main fuse block (I use jumper wires to do this) I know that it has 12 to 14 volts as I have a voltmeter (Fluke) And as soon as I stick the wire in the hole were it's supposed to go, I no longer have 12 volts. It drops to 3 volts.
I used my old engine compartment wiring harness for a comparison and I now have all the wires in the right spot were they are supposed to be.
With this "drop" in voltage I am pretty sure that there is something wrong under the dash somewhere.
The fuses are all good, but I am going to replace them today. If I can find them.
And I will order up a new ignition switch today and get that on it's way.
Most of the day I will be stuffed up under the dash, poking and prodding.
Just hope I don't let the smoke out of something.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2019 at 10:16pm
Funny... my first thought was 'smoke out your ears' ...hope not... nice to notice you keeping a sense of humor. More power to you BrotherB.

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 6:10am
Well, you have something drawing power. Check the diodes on the alternator. I don't know if others even use accessible diodes like the old Motorolas, but a bad alternator or voltage regulator (or diodes.. they all use diodes to convert AC to DC in a rectifier somehow) can cause a power drain. Poor contacts in the switch could do it also.
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 8:34am
Thank you David..
I let the smoke out from between my ears years ago. Life is so much better that way. Just roll with the punches and carry on..!!
The short is coming from the "interior" side of the car. Wasn't able to get a lot done yesterday, as I got called into work. But, I was able to figure out that it's coming from the "fan" side of things. The wiper switch fell apart in my hand, so that will be replaced and I am replacing the headlight switch also.
Along with the ignition switch.
More battles ahead.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 5:25pm
Could be the blower motor -- worn brushes shorting? If it is an AC cat a bad speed resistor could be a culprit...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 101>
  Share Topic