TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 8:32am
Yep... That's the plan..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2019 at 12:58pm
Well... It was bound to happen.

The only good thing that I can say is that the wheel well trim will cover it.

I could wrap this whole car with bubble wrap and crap is probably going to happen to it. Not only did I chip my paint, one of the lights fell off the screws that was holding it up. And where did it fall...?? On the drivers door and of course it scratched the clear coat.
One of those nights where I just shut the door and walked away shaking my head in disgust.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:52am
Sorry about the setbacks. Frustrating. 
Take some deep breaths and remember how far you've come with this project and how much has gone RIGHT. You will fix it...you will finish it...you will be happy and proud.
72 Gremlin X
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:13am
Had my Rogue painted by an excellent body and paint guy for the restoration.  When I picked up the car when it was done, he said "Now take it home and scratch it."  I looked at him like he was insane.  He said "it's gonna happen anyway so go ahead and scratch it."  So, somewhere on the car is a small, miniscule scratch that no one will ever see and I will never tell where it is.  Magic must of worked because thru the whole rest of the process never had a problem with anything getting scratched or chipped. 
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 10:31am
Thanks for the positive thoughts guys. I appreciate them.
Yes, it's gonna happen. Stuff happens. Like the light falling. Just one of those things.
I did make a new dolly and got the rear end hung up under the car.

Also dug out my motor and unwrapped it from it's slumber of sitting in the corner. That's how the chip happened. Had to move the floor jack to get the motor out and the car was at a slight angle on the rotisserie. When I went to put the car back at a level position, I had forgotten where the floor jack was and the handle caught the wheel lip and chipped it. It can be fixed and will be covered with the trim.
Pulled the plugs and squirted some oil in the cylinders and gave her a few good crank overs with the cheater bar. Hard to believe that it's been almost 3 years since I broke this motor in. Now it's getting close to getting it fired up..!! Can't wait..!!
Little bit concerned on how this scatter shield is gonna fit in the transmission tunnel. Hopefully, I wont have to do any serious "modifications".
The sides of the scatter shield don't have the same dimensions as the original bell, so I am pretty sure that's where I will have a little bit of problem. Nothing a block of wood and a big hammer will take care of..

I do have about a quart of paint left over for "touch ups", which I knew I would have to use. Whether it be on a chip, scratch or whatever.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 5:09pm
Installed a N.O.S. emergency brake cable and got that hooked up.
I had to cut off the original bracket to make room for the subframe connectors and I had to figure out what to do with it and how I could make it work.
I ended up trimming it down a bit and then ran the cable. After trying a few different spots it ended up being welded to the subframe connector. I was worried about it not reaching and it was very close to not reaching. The cable is at a pretty good angle and I am hoping that with some use, it will stretch a little bit. It works and works well, but I am not too sure how long it will last being that the cable is at such an angle like it is.

Snugged everything down. Just going to use a pair of old wheels and tires for now and waiting on a pair of KYB shocks.
More battles to continue..!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 5:55am
Maybe you need an older Rambler under dash pull cable instead of the foot operated one? What about a Pinto style floor mounted park brake? The hot rod shops used to sell those as a universal floor handle. Any room to mount between the seats?
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Maybe you need an older Rambler under dash pull cable instead of the foot operated one? What about a Pinto style floor mounted park brake? The hot rod shops used to sell those as a universal floor handle. Any room to mount between the seats?

It is what it is Frank..
I "thought" about installing a drifter's hand brake...
For about 10 seconds... I'm not into drifting.
It's the cable itself, being that I was unable to re-install it in it's original spot because of the mods that I had already done. I did the best I could with what I have.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 9:29am
You've done a very good job! If I my work always came out as good as yours I'd be very pleased with myself...  I'm sure you've done a lot of head scratching and trial and error too....
Frank Swygert
GreasedGremlin360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreasedGremlin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 10:50am
Wow, what a great job so far man. Makes me wanna get back on my 74 thats covered in dust in my garage atm. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 101>
  Share Topic