TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 12:36am
We will see what this looks like in the sunshine tomorrow...
3 coats of high solid clear. Two run's, no drips, no errors..
I am glad that this part of the journey is starting to come to an end.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 6:11am
This is why I often tell people to look at the budget (cheap) paint places. The kid who started spraying three days ago has sprayed a dozen cars and has more experience than you will trying to spray the first time! They usually put one of their better people on vintage cars that someone has taken pains to do most of the prep work on before taking it, at least that's my experience. I've even had them tell me they were going to do that, and the results were great! Even if you take your own paint it's worth it. I don't think Maaco will let you supply paint, but some of the smaller outfits will. Prep work is the main ingredient to any paint job, so do as much as that as you are capable of first. Even just stripping it down so they have little masking to do helps a lot.

I like Ollie's "busted knuckle" class idea, but that would be hard to prove. Most cars at shows are "checkbook builds" any more. The guy brags about "building" his car, then you start to asking him things and so and so shop did the engine, so and so body did the body work, those guys did the upholstery, etc. So he's like a main house contractor who subs everything out... not what I call "building" the car. I can't complain about subbing out some things, like engine and trans builds (few will rebuild an auto trans), upholstery, and even paint. Those are things that require a good bit of skill. While most of us can do engine work, the last engine I had built (4.0L) I only did a little of the assembly work. I took the short block to the machine shop for machine work, and they said they'd assemble and give a one year, unlimited mileage guarantee on if for $150. Couldn't pass that up! Took them the cam I had ordered and let them do it. I changed to a later model head and already had it, so I just did the final assembly and put it in.  But you should at least do the major assembly of the car yourself if you're going to take most of the credit for building!  While I didn't spray the final paint, I did 80% of the prep work and sprayed the primer and interior myself.  If you didn't do at least 50% of the work you "had it built", you didn't "build it"!!!
Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 9:36am
Thank you Frank...
Before I even started down this road, I was looking for someone to paint my car for me. The only place that I found was a place called "Hot Bods". They wanted a 10,000 dollar deposit and a 6 month waiting period. Even though I had already stripped the car to bare bones and the body was on a rotisserie, they still wanted 10 grand up front. I couldn't even find a paint booth that didn't want at least a couple hundred bucks, or more.
I am figuring (in my head) I have about a little over 1,500.00 dollars in paint and supplies in this. That includes all the tape, paper, sandpaper, paint guns and the paint itself. I will have to go through all my receipts and add it all up.
Yes, I had trials and tribulations. But, I think the outcome was well worth the headaches. It's not perfect and even the body shops don't do "perfect" work. My friend that lives down the road had Hot Bods do his 67 Barracuda. It was a 10K paint job and its far from perfect. It's nice, but not the so called perfect paint job.
And I am farming out the cut and buff on this too. If I was to purchase all the items needed for cut and buff, buffing machine, pads, compounds it would be around 350 to 500 bucks. Depending on which buffer machine I was to purchase. Then there is the mess and if you're a rookie, like me, then there is no telling what could possibly happen. I would much rather pay someone to cut and buff then buy all the stuff because it comes out to be about the same cost. Then you have all the junk that you just purchased and used and now you have to find a spot for "the next time". If there would ever be a "next time".
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2019 at 9:44pm
Pushed it out the door today...
Has a nice thick, orange peel in the clear. Perfect for a cut and buff.
I think it came out pretty good.

Maybe some of you might of been wondering about the hood. I didn't feel like messing around with it while the car was on the rotisserie.. So, I did what I wasn't supposed to do, and painted it off the body.

And I almost forgot about these...

Half the battle has been accomplished..
More to come..!!    
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2019 at 4:22pm
Super nice shine! Looks great in that color too.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2019 at 6:53am
It photographs great! Can't see the orange peel from here...
It's a fantastic job for an amateur for sure! I'll bring mine over and you can paint it...
Don't blame you at all on farming out the cut-n-buff. That's a lot of work, and as noted equipment you might not need again. It's not hard to burn through the paint on creases either!
Frank Swygert
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2019 at 7:44am
That is a helluva job.  Looks great!  And you are exactly right, no specialty auto body and paint shop does it perfect.  Mine  69 Rambler was at a shop only 3 months but I removed everything, did a lot of prep, they finished the body work I was afraid to tackle (i.e. welding), some other precision straightening, lined up the gaps and painted it.  They did very good work but not perfect.  And I had saved for 2 years for it.  So I commend you for the great job and tremendous sacrifice and effort.  You can say you truly built your car!  While I know virtually every inch of my car and can and did do a lot of work, I can really only say I was a working team member.  You da entire man!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2019 at 7:47am
I am pumped up for you...........Clap

Hope mine turns out as well. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2019 at 9:05am
Thanks Everyone...
I appreciate the kind words. Yes, that was a lot of work. This whole thing has been a lot of work and it will probably continue to be a lot of work until it's done... Still got a ways to go yet before it's done and we all know one thing, that they are never really "done".
I'm gonna let this sit for a week before I start back up on it. I've kind of let things go to the way side around the house and I need to catch up on those chores.
Figured that I would start on the fuel line and brake lines first while I still am able to have it on the rotisserie. I should be able to put the tank in and all of its attaching hardware.
One thing that I have concerns about is the Lakewood scatter shield that I have installed on my 401. I have read a few conflicting posts on if it will fit or not with out cutting a bunch of the firewall or the tunnel away to make it fit. Guess we will see when it comes time for the motor and tranny install.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2019 at 10:53am
Well everyone..
Looks like I will be cut and buffing my own car...
I understand that there is just a few hours of work involved. But for someone to do a cut and buff, cost more then the whole entire paint job.
Like someone stated before... Just break out your checkbook and have one of those kinds of cars.
I think I am going to start my own car club. I'm gonna call it "The Knuckle Buster Gang". The only way to get into this particular club is that you have to do all your own work.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 101>
  Share Topic