TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 11:00pm
Been too cold to really do anything to the car.
Finished up the back seat rest last week before the cold snap.
I used 3/4" plywood instead of the treated 5/8" that came from the factory. I think I should probably put some sort of sealant/stain on the raw wood before covering it. Going to re-use the original foam as it is still in nice shape.
I will drop off everything to the upholsterer when I get the door panels from him.
Door panels will be black vinyl with a silver pinch out line to match the dash, and a blue thread stitch that will match the caravelle blue paint. I am going to let him do the design.

Rounded the hard edges in the cut outs.

Other then this, I am just waiting for a little bit warmer weather.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:32am
I like it. 

I never painted or sealed the wood in "The Rambler", just glued carpet to it. In 5 years or so, it has never been an issue. It was mighty close to 5/8" maybe a 32 thickness. 

I know what you mean about warmer weather, it effects my shop and progress too..... LOL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 6:21pm
Gives me an idea for removal of the rear seat and building a floor in back with storage where the seat bottom was, side panels for rear speakers and a panel in the rear for a sub and amps.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

Gives me an idea for removal of the rear seat and building a floor in back with storage where the seat bottom was, side panels for rear speakers and a panel in the rear for a sub and amps.

Removed the rear seat  in our American, added a floor and back panel all covered with carpet. Now a storage area for chairs, ice chest, shade tent, etc. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 10:39pm
Cleaned up the mess finally from the install of the roll bar. Got everything sealed back up with some epoxy primer. I'll finish it off with some high build tomorrow.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 7:08am
It's amazing how many times we put stuff together and take it apart !!! 

I guess every small step is a giant leap to the finished product..........LOL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 10:05am
The wood on seats and such is generally not sealed from the factory. That said, I usually seal mine. Doesn't hurt anything. A coat of latex paint or polyurethane would be all you need.
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 10:36am
I know that the original plywood that was in the car is/was a treated piece of wood. 
I used the original as a pattern and when I cut out the holes for the rear bars, there was a definite stench of treated wood. Does the piece that I made need anything on it as far as a treatment..??  
Probably not as the car will hopefully never see rain and spend the rest of it's life living in the garage. Just figured it would be a good idea to put something on it. 
Woke up to about 3" of snow and it's still coming down. 
I might live in the lowest elevation point in Idaho, but it is still winter and Idaho is known for its snow..!! Smile

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

I know that the original plywood that was in the car is/was a treated piece of wood. 
I used the original as a pattern and when I cut out the holes for the rear bars, there was a definite stench of treated wood. Does the piece that I made need anything on it as far as a treatment..??  
Probably not as the car will hopefully never see rain and spend the rest of it's life living in the garage. Just figured it would be a good idea to put something on it.

Thompsons Water Seal would penetrate, seal, and keep the wood looking natural.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 10:37pm
Back to single color again.

Thompsons Water Seal is a great idea. Thanks.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 101>
  Share Topic