TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Early AMX door glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early AMX door glass
    Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 9:24pm
Where can you get it? 
Looking to buy project AMX. 
Thinking the door glass would be the hardest thing to find if needed.

I've done a search using "AMX door glass" as search words, all I get is fiberglass and glass remounting issues.

Can you use Javelin glass and have it reground or cut to the right shape?

Thanks
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 10:19pm
Replacement glass is available from the commercial vendors like APD ( American Parts Depot) and Kennedy American.   There has been some fitment issues from what I have heard but I have no personal experience with this glass.   Used glass is available ( especially clear glass )   Tinted is MUCH harder to find.   Javelin glass will not work in an AMX.   The 68/69 glass is slightly different than the 70 glass but will work in all 3 years....

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 10:29pm
I tried the repro glass in my 70 and it was a horrible fit. It didn't even stay in the car and found some used stuff instead. The vendor informed me that "this was the first time he had heard of a fitment issue..." LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

I tried the repro glass in my 70 and it was a horrible fit. It didn't even stay in the car and found some used stuff instead. The vendor informed me that "this was the first time he had heard of a fitment issue..." LOL

Without going into detail as to who the vendor was, what were the fitment issues with the glass? Was it dimensional, length/width/height, or was it something to do with the curvature? Were these the replacements with the holes in the bottom edge for mounting in the channels?

Odd that a company (whoever makes them) that obviously makes automotive glass for a living would have a problem duplicating these relatively simple side windows. I'm assuming no one has had an issue with the replacement windshields...?
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 11:04pm
The big issue was the bottom of the glass, it was flat and should have been curved. This created huge gaps at the door to glass in the middle and looked ridiculous.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2015 at 7:25am
Okay, thanks. I just recently bought this glass from a major AMC vendor, but I haven't got around to fitting it - guess I'll be sending it back now. Very disappointing.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2015 at 7:30am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Without going into detail as to who the vendor was, what were the fitment issues with the glass? Was it dimensional, length/width/height, or was it something to do with the curvature? Were these the replacements with the holes in the bottom edge for mounting in the channels?
The one I just installed was not curved enough top to bottom. If you set the glass to the bottom of the shoe so the attaching holes can be used the shoes have to be adjusted too high and hang up on the window fuzzies. Using their directions on shoe depth can also make the up stops unusable. The attaching holes are useless if you set the glass at the original factory depth in the shoes.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 10:46pm
I'm bringing this old thread back to life as I am about to install some side glass.  I just received it and can confirm that the current glass still has slightly less top to bottom curve, but I don't think that should be a problem if you glue the glass into the shoe at a little more of an angle to compensate.  

I can confirm Pit Crew's finding that the holes are useless if you mount the glass to the factory depth.  I haven't glued mine in yet, but I can see that with the glass at the proper depth the holes are right at the top edge of the shoe.  It's not a total waste though as the holes should give the glue a little more "bite" to the glass.

Also, I'm not quite sure what AMXDreamer encountered earlier, but the original glass is flat at the bottom from front to back.  I just checked the one I removed from my car with a yardstick. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 10:24am
If the curve is wrong how will it match up with the quarter window?? I have never heard of anyone that was happy with the aftermarket glass.  Be interesting how this goes....

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

If the curve is wrong how will it match up with the quarter window?? I have never heard of anyone that was happy with the aftermarket glass.  Be interesting how this goes....

Chuck Page

I don't think it's enough of a difference to be a problem, but I'll know for sure in a couple days and will update.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic