TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - *Updated* Farm find '68 Rebel SST I just bought
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

*Updated* Farm find '68 Rebel SST I just bought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Updated* Farm find '68 Rebel SST I just bought
    Posted: Sep/29/2015 at 11:12am
Returned Sunday from a trip to Teulon, Manitoba to buy this 1968 Rebel SST and wanted to share the trip. The owner was the great grandson of the original owner. The car sat outside for about 30 years. Started up and runs great, drove it onto the trailer. From what I can tell it's a completely original 2-door hardtop 343 4bbl car. Even has the original floormats. It needs work, but the price couldn't be beat. Luckily he only listed it on something called kajiji.ca (which is Canada's Craigslist), otherwise I'm sure it would've been gone. Asking price was $1200 CDN, he said he needed at least $1000 CDN, I offered him $800 CDN and we settled on $900 CDN, which ended up being $675 US!! He didn't really know what he had, which was great for me!

Long trip, 18 hours there, 26 back. Only issue was a trailer blowout an hour south of the border in ND, but Uhaul roadside assistance had us back up within the hour.

The makeshift gas bottle was a precaution the owner took since he didn't know what was in the gas tank.

Edited by skynless - Oct/12/2015 at 1:15pm
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2015 at 11:20am
Nice find!  Give us the pictures after it's vacuumed and cleaned. :)  Wish I found a deal like that in the Vancouver area.

By the way, there used to be Kijiji in the US, but it was renamed 'Ebay Classified' five years ago since that's who owns it.
Faster is Better
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2015 at 1:41pm
Nice find! 
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2015 at 11:36pm
There is Craigslist in Canada, but it is not as popular as kijiji. 
DWR
1968 AMX

1792 MAT. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1792 MAT. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 12:00am
  So,what are your future plans for the barn find Rebel?Btw,did you have any trouble sleeping after you stole it??LOL Nice find!Congrats!

1792 MAT.
American Motors means MORE for Americans
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 6:23am
It looks remarkably straight, intact and complete. Appears to be easily restorable. This car is a good candidate for a stock restoration. Good luck with it.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 10:16am
My back is still stiff from the long drive, but I feel very lucky to have found it before the rest of you ;-).

The intent is to get a '68 Rebel and clone the prototype Rebel Machine. Unfortunately I seem to have found an all original, family-owned car that will probably be frowned upon if modified.

Tell me this wouldn't look cool:

1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
will333 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 10:38am
I'm with you on the Machine clone prototype. 

1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 1:43pm
Wow, you got a good deal. I live in ND. Had I known about this, I don't know if I would have maintained enough self-discipline to not cross the border and buy a car I don't have room for. I really like those Rebels. Guess the only thing I don't prefer about the car is the vinyl top and shifter on the column. Planning to remove some vinyl?
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 1:56pm
The vinyl is basically removing itself! The plan for the car is two posts above. I've had a few conversations regarding consoles, need to restart the search, so yes, I'm planning on converting to automatic floor shift (i'm guessing the original Rebel Machine prototype was a manual, but I have a 727 being given to me).
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic