TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bulltear V8 timing cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulltear V8 timing cover
    Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 12:55pm
Has anyone installed and used one of Bulltears V8 timing covers? They state they're for 290-401 V8's. Since used ones are at times suceptible to a lot of wear and tear I was thinking of getting one for an upcoming 401 engine build.

Anyone who has used them what are your thoughts about them.

Thanks,

Richard
badaboom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badaboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 1:09pm
I have one with the HRC Oil Pump etc. On the way let you know.
I have purchased BT stuff in the past and been happy.

I also purchased there cam bearings for my 1969 AMC 390.
All on there way now via mule to machine shop.
Keep'em on the road, screw cash for clunkers
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 1:24pm
I have one of their nickel coated covers on my Rogue. I haven't started it yet, but I can get 60PSI with the priming tool. I have a non-coated Bulltear cover on my AMX. Both engines are running mid plates and the HRC pump gears. My AMX has about 55PSI hot over 2000 RPM, and about 25PSI hot idle.

Bulltear does quality check every cover on a jig to assure the proper machining of the distributor and oil pump holes. MC was reporting over 50% of some batches were not machined right.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 6:58pm
I have a Bulltear timing cover installed on my '72 360 V8 and it's a nice piece. Fits right & works right. I applied JB Weld to the outside of the cover on the idler shaft - not because it leaked but just as 'insurance'. I have 60 PSIG at cold start, 13 PSIG at hot idle (195 deg. F thermostat & 550 RPM) using Valvoline semi-synthetic 5w30. Jumps right up when you goose it. I also have the midplate and modified Melling gears (.120" hole drilled in idler gear, drive gear pinned.)

Edited by sweatlock - Aug/19/2015 at 6:28pm
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 8:50pm
Got one in my AMXs 401. Looks and works great.

BTW: If you're doing a rebuild make sure the crank's bearing clearances are set to AMC's TSM specs. Don't let your builder use any other information or you'll have a low oil pressure problem.

-Steve-
Richtom1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2015 at 11:24pm
Thanks for all the great info. 

I'll probably go for the nickel plated set up with the added oil pump gears etc.  Hopefully I can order it before the end of the month (if finances will allow)

Richard
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2015 at 11:36pm
It saved my engine rebuild! He specs them with factory specs. It performs amazingly. It is nickel plated.
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
americanjackie2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2015 at 9:17am
Did you do the mods to the idler gear or did bullter do it for you
Richtom1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2015 at 4:44pm
Actually I've been looking at the :

AMC V8 oil pump kit (+Upgrade options).   with nickel plated timing cover but haven't made made a decision yet because I don't know if I will have the $$$ before the end of the month. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic