TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Model15 twin grip pinion seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model15 twin grip pinion seal
    Posted: Aug/14/2015 at 1:51pm
I need help finding the pinion seal for a model15 twin grip unit. The AMC part number is 3128171. I've gotten plenty of parts numbers, including: National, Napa, SKF, Felpro, Chrysler, et... But, they are all obsolete. Looking on National's website, I can find a pinion seal that they say is correct, however, the dimensions aren't correct.

These are the dimensions of the seal I need.

Inside Diameter: 25.4 mm,1 in

Outside Diameter: 71.55 mm,2.817 in

Width: 29.36 mm,1.156 in

The seal has what appears to be a 5/8" shoulder that sticks out past the housing, and is where the actual seal for the pinion shaft is located. The pinion yoke then has a shield that goes over that shoulder.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 5:11pm
Wow... fourteen views and no one knows of where to find this elusive seal? lol
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2015 at 2:23am
Who made the AMC seal? I can't find that number even on Milspec sites. 1" ID?    

What's it out of?                                                      
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2015 at 5:03pm
Last week, I emailed Kennedy American and I got a reply yesterday. I had given them the part number on the seal, and they gave me the "updated" AMC part number, told me that they have several still in stock, and that they are a whopping $65!!! Will just have to wait a little bit until I get paid. As of right now, it doesn't leak, and the car isn't on the road. But, knowing that I can get it is a big relief.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2015 at 6:13am
The "big nut" driveshaft Americans used that stepped seal, but I didn't think any others did. Or is that what you're working on? I'm not sure if the big cars with torque tube used a stepped seal or not, don't think the 63-64 Classic with 196 did. As you discovered, no one makes that stepped seal any more, since it hasn't been used since 1963 in the American. That's why the steep price.
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2015 at 7:20am
This is a twin grip rear I got from Typhooner. I had to do some alterations to the axle tubes for it to be the proper width for my Javelin. The rear is in GREAT condition and I don't want an old seal to fail and ruin it. Thankfully, that is the only thing that differs between it and all other AMC15 units.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2015 at 7:49am
It's possible to make an adapter to use a different seal. The shield on the driveshaft will have to go though. You need a piece of steel tubing sized to press in where the original seal goes, and extend out to place a standard flat seal out where the front of the original seal is. I said possible, not easy! Getting a piece of tubing sized (may have to turn down OD a bit) to fit the original mount area is easy enough, sizing the ID to fit another seal is a bit tougher. 
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2015 at 3:06pm
I've given a little bit of thought to that. Making a pipe to fit won't be hard for me. After all, I do have a hydraulic pipe bender, with all of the expanders and reamers. The hardest part may actually be finding a seal that works for the pinion and the pipe. If once can't be found I'd have to step the pipe size down for a seal to fit. But, unless it's tried, I'll never know.
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2015 at 8:33am
Can you post the seal number? I might know of a place that can get you one. If you can give me both the old and the new #.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2015 at 9:46am
Old number, 3128171. New, 3203580.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic