TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > In The Beginning..........
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"Beep-Beep"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concours dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 8:38pm
Cool video! IMHO if the lyrics said "How do I get my AMX out of second gear?" more folks would like the tune.

Edited by Concours dude - Aug/14/2015 at 10:04pm
Past owned:
62 Classic 400
1976 Hornet
65 440 H
61 Amb
59 Classic wagon
55 Ambassador Sedan
54 Ambassador Country Club
AMCRC #1929
AMO #10029
1analguy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1analguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Cool old vid...
That's all it was meant to be. I thought it had a lot of quaint historical feel to it, and the fact that these three brothers and their families actually took the time and went through all the trouble and expense to make it, and to have it resurface now, just amazes me. When I first saw it, I immediately thought "I have to share this with the AMC community". I had hoped that everyone would accept and enjoy it in the spirit in which it was intended, but I do understand that everyone is different...though it didn't occur to me then that anyone would/could be offended by it. Not that you were...

...The thing that bugs me about the song is, it promotes brand biased on stupid stories...
Well, the song never actually was a commercial, nor was its intent ever promotional, it was just a gag song with a "David and Goliath" motif. Heck, Dr. Demento used to play it on his syndicated radio show. That was its target audience.

...biased on stupid stories. Like all the people with 4.10 gears and stock engines doing 140+ mph...
I sure do know where you're coming from here. I've heard countless versions of these nonsensical stories myself. One example I'll never forget: back in the early '70s I met a guy through a girl I was dating at the time. When he found out that I was a gear head and an AMC freak, he began telling me all about his ground-bound UFO, what turned out to be a worn out '69 390 Ambassador wagon that was a former sheriff's squad car with a lot of miles on it. It was still stock, but guess what? It would go 150 mph! And he made sure that everyone knew it would go 150, too. Of course, he was just stupid and didn't know any better, and I now charitably assume that that's true of most people who tell these kinds of tall tales.

Edited by 1analguy - Sep/11/2015 at 8:28pm
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 5:17pm
Thanks for sharing. I loved it.

That's a great video, especially when you consider it's age.

Good idea preserving it and turning it into a digital memento.

Rich C.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 8:40pm
too funny....thanks for sharing!!   Very cool!!

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by 1analguy 1analguy wrote:

worn out '69 390 Ambassador wagon that was a former sheriff's squad car with a lot of miles on it. It was still stock, but guess what? It would go 150 mph! And he made sure that everyone knew it would go 150, too.

Just imagine the stories about the current "cop packages" in 40 years. 300 mph easy. Esp since they have over twice the power, far better transmissions, body's with far less wind drag and far superior tires.
1analguy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1analguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2015 at 8:50am

Just imagine the stories about the current "cop packages" in 40 years. 300 mph easy. Esp since they have over twice the power, far better transmissions, body's with far less wind drag and far superior tires.
It's not just AMC owners, either. On one of the Porsche forums, there was a guy with a stock Bentley Continental GT that would do 250 mph. He knew for a fact that it was true because the salesman told him so. And nobody was calling him on it!
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 8:01pm
Amazing that was made in the sixties. They were really ahead of their time. What freaks me, is how pristine the Rambler American is. Thanks for posting.

John
John
70 AMX

Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 6:45am
Well the 62's were obviously brand new, so yeah pristine, my convert looks like that on except red and white and no one on earth has done near 100 in her...

Mark
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 12:00am
For anybody interested that song by the Playmates had a second version. Cadillac/GM didn't appreciate the reference so the Playmates recorded another version replacing Cadillac with limousine. I guess it was all ironed out as the Cadi version is the only one you hear now.

Edit, here's the real story, according to Wiki-pedia: 
Because of a directive by the BBC that songs not include brand names in their lyrics, a UK re-recorded version of "Beep Beep" was recorded for the European market replacing the Cadillac and Nash Rambler with the generic terms the Limousine and Bubble car.

Edited by gremlin1945 - May/08/2016 at 12:05am
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
expdchief View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote expdchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 8:18am
Now that is VERY cool!  Thanks for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic