TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC #4 another toy to play with

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 9:00pm
More photos from the car.........

This is the other door panel, same top screw, but not cracked, thankfully!

Grill has been repaired...... bummer, but at least it's easy to make it look BETTER, and the front looks ok.

Uh, some missing parts here, eh?

Other mirror, and there is trim here.......

ALL gaskets, seals, etc. need to be replaced, window/door, trunk......

Someone cut the back of each seat? this ain't an option is it?

The driver side sill plate/scuff plate. Really messed up, the end edge was bent up a lot, I pushed it down best I could by hand.

messy messy messy...... ;-)

TACKY radio install, THAT will change......... not sure when, but it will! 

This is where the dash shakes, rattles, moves around and it's in good shape...... the top is really loose and floppy.

Broken parts/trim

Enough for now maybe more tomorrow. I'll be looking for some trim parts - the side kick panels, the trim just above that's broken, etc. as well as the grill parts. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 9:16pm
Ah, no your not weird, just do things different at times. As for drooling... The way you came off originally made me think you were dead set on them. Maybe it is you wanting answers more than anything. I guess I have to look back at times when I was not sure of which or what that I needed. Asking Qs can bring up a lot more Qs before making a dead set descision.  I just thought you were grabbing as much as you could that was available from dependable forum regulars. As I know enough to realize things are not as plentiful when being selective.

I may have thrown you off a wee bit with my humor.  I may be more energetic with wrenching and fabricating than most my age, and sometimes forget that, when I see so much here being done that I wish I could do.

For me I am still working on that for myself... Never had the money and time back then, and now that I have time, still on a budget, but getting there. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 9:25pm
Pretty much all of the issues you are finding are the common issues with the big body Javelins. Where are the horns?

This is what the missing grill support looks like.

Edited by pit crew - Jul/28/2015 at 9:30pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2015 at 10:20pm
>> Where are the horns?<<
Normally at or near the front of a car, down low, behind the grill - but not on this car, they are nowhere to be found. They aren't even in the trunk or under the seats. So I need a pair, hi and low, horns, too. I want the grill brackets to keep it from rattling and shaking and self-destructing. That cam isn't exactly smooth in this beast.

See them there wires? There should be horns hanging off the ends of them, ain't none to be found. LOL

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 6:25am
A good temporary solution for the horns are the WOLO horns Summit Racing sells. They run about $11 each, looks somewhat stock, and come in hi and low tone. Either that or you will have to see if you can get a passenger that can scream real loud.

WLO-310-2T and WLO-315-2T  

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 7:55am
The way my brother talks - nailing the throttle might make a passenger scream loud..........

Obviously I'll want horns - I'll have to see if my salvaged horns work at all, they look like crap and have swelled in spots but may work until I get something else. I recently had to replace a horn on my baby Eagle as it started sounding like a sick cow so not sure if I have working horn or horns on the shelf or not.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 8:03am
Note also in the one photo with the 2 yellow arrows - one points to the bad radio install, the other points to a chunk broken off the dash front - looks like at some point in the future I need to add several dash parts to my want list. I don't like visible broken stuff like that, but depending on cost that's likely down toward the bottom of the list for now.

I need wiring for the car. Most of the underhood wiring has been hacked or is MISSING. There is no wiring for the wipers.
I found a hole in the firewall where wires may have come through, but there is no wiper wiring at all.

The blower motor is totally disconnected and I find no wires that appear to have fed it.
Also the chokes on both carbs are connected to an ignition wire run from inside the car, not from the harness. Not yet sure what happened to the original wiring for the ignition, but it's been bypassed by a wire seen here, and the choke feed is clipped as shown.
So I might as well get an entire wiring harness and wiper harness for a 73 and be done with it - used, that is, I'd prefer a decent proper used wiring harness in both cases.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 8:19am
Engine pics -

If I remember correctly, and I did not think to grab the other papers while at my brothers place, it was bored .040 over
Cam is Comp A8 280H-10
Hooker headers, Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers
TCI 2500 stall converter

Will Scorpion rockers sit well under these valve covers?  I have a set in the box on the shelf-  always wondered if I should put them in the 390 in my 70 - now I think I know where they should go.

MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 6:03pm
On the missing grill support, there are two different types. One is straight across for the 1971 Javelins and AMX's, and the second has a little extension in the center for the vertical support behind the grill. The reason for the extension is the vertical support was moved back in 1972 for the thicker grill. 73-74 use the same support bar. The 1973-74 Javelin electric wipers also have a separate wiring harness for the wiper switch that is not part of the main harness. It has a 4 prong plug that hooks up to the wiper motor wiring. 1971-72 Javelins use the early style electric wiper motor that had a complete harness that went from the motor through the firewall to the wiper switch and fuse block. The blower motor should connect to a wire coming out of the main harness by the blower motor. It is a single plug connector, and the motor should have a ground lead coming off it connected to a screw on the firewall by your brake distribution block. The dash pad is sitting a little high because it looks like you are missing the screws that hold the instrument cluster to the pad. They are black counter sunk screws that go it the holes at the lead edge if you look up. It also looks like the foam between the heater core and firewall is missing.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 7:24am
Holy cow, some more invaluable information.
Yeah, I saw that situation with the heater area - missing foam, and missing second heater core tube.
That's going to be fixed as I'll remove the heater box, put in a decent heater core if I can find one, new proper foam, and likely rebuild/restore the blower motor at the same time. That won't be a first priority, but on the to-do list for sure. That looks horrible besides not having any heat if defog of the windshield is necessary on our cool wet mornings here.

So INSIDE the car, there is a small wiring harness from the wiper switch to the rest of the wiring, but externally it's part of the main engine harness, correct? I knew it wasn't like the earlier Javelins as that wiring harness was soldered to the wiper motor, ran through the firewall and typically had 2 connectors that pushed onto the back of the wiper switch inside. That's because it was an option, and that's how the motor was wired up. It was bought/supplied as a wired assembly from Prestolite. Vacuum wipers didn't need any of that, so it was extremely simple for AMC.
72 saw the last of the Prestolite wipers with integral wiring harness.  The wiper motor sits to the passenger side, too, on the later cars, unlike the Prestolite which set over to the driver side.
I'm not sure yet how good or bad the interior wiring is.
I plan on going over there later today to put the seat belts in and I'll take another look then, maybe make a better determination of what all it needs since I won't have the real strict time restriction on me - although I can't take TOO much time, I'm supposed to be home ASAP for other duties and chores but still it should allow me more time to assess the needs.
Thanks for the added more detailed information.
Eventually I'll want a better grill, but for now this one is there and seems complete. It's just been repaired and the repair is OBVIOUS and in your face when you open the hood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic