TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Temp gauge reads low

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp gauge reads low
    Posted: Jun/21/2015 at 8:08am
My temp gauge has always read low and after trying two sending units and replacing the IVR, it still reads low. Angry  I'm using a Standard TS37 sending unit and I suspect it's not in the right range for the gauge. What sending unit is correct for the Rallye Pack gauges? I've checked the wiring, grounds etc but the gauge still sets at the low make when the engine temp is 195°. The oil and fuel are fine so this seems to be just a temp issue. The sender ohms 3500 when cold and 660k when hot. If I put my test light in place of the sender, it reads almost to the bottom of the normal range. I want to fix this while I have the cluster out but the sender seems to be the issue.
I replaced the tach board in the tach yesterday with one from Premium Dash Decals and it works great now. It was off by about 900 rpm before and it's within 50 now which is good for these old tachs.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2015 at 10:17pm
Not sure what year and setup you've got. On my Ambassador, there is an additional component that impacts accuracy. There is a 5v regulator of ancient design that gets tired with age. On my car, it runs both the temp gauge and fuel gauge circuit. If both are reading a bit low, that may be your problem.

Since mine is consistent if low, I've just recalibrated by eyeball to what is normal to see for there gauges.

I've seen some of the AMC suppliers with this part. Also, I've heard of folks devising a newer design 5VDC regulator with standard solid state parts.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2015 at 7:14am
What a pita problem this was. I found out my ohm meter was lying to me so I replaced that. After trying five different sending units none of them would be in the right range but I did find one that has the gauge reading higher so I'll install a resistor to dial it in to where it needs to be. I also replaced the bulbs with led's which turned out nice. So good luck to anyone who needs to replace their cooling sender!

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2015 at 7:50am
The sending unit for the gauge package, at least those I have fooled with for the later AMC cars are different than the ones used for the dashboard. Why don't know except there are two different gauge packages and the applications for one of them is also for the Pacer which did not get a temperature gauge. So the gauge was in the accessory package.
If you have a TSM the resistance reading for that gauge is in the TSM.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2015 at 10:35am
I thought I was slick. Living in balmy Tucson, I replaced the perfectly good 195 thermostat with a 160. Heater is less of an issue then running hot with the A/C on. Now, it is so cool running ( 30 degrees below stock) that the gauge reads barely on the first "tick" mark on the dash gauge. My inferred tester says all is fine.... 161 degrees. Apparently the gauge is "centered" for 195. Oh well.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2015 at 7:50pm
According to the TSM, the Javelin gauge calibration goes like this -  the lowest cold mark is 130°,  the bottom of the band is 184°, the top of the band is 245° the the hot mark is 268°. That being said the middle of the band should be about 215°. At a 160° you should be between the cold mark and the bottom of the band. Replacing the IVR with a solid state unit and cleaning up the contacts where the gauge nuts contacts the circuit board helped both the oil pressure and fuel gauges but did nothing for the temp gauge. That's when I got into the sending unit search.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2015 at 11:07pm
Your question initially unless I read it wrong referred to the Rallye Pack gauges. This package was an option and was installed or could be installed after the fact on the car. They did indeed become different over the years.
What year are you referring to as to the car and also as to the Rallye pack units.

This is one of the two I am familiar with and consisted of four gauges, this one a Clock, A vacuum gauge, an oil pressure gauge and an AMP Gauge. It was used with the Spirit based cars and others. The other option consisted of a heat gauge replacing the clock and was used with the Pacer and others. And the sending unit was different than OEM when used in other cars, such as the Hornet for example. When used with the Hornet it came with cosmetic tape which covered the OEM Heat gauge so it could not be seen and looked like part of the dash. So I understand.
Early Javelin just had two gauges, and I would have to look it up in my 1970 TSM to refer to them.
As to the accuracy of any gauge of this era? I really don't think any of them were accurate and no two were exactly alike.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2015 at 7:47am
Those are different than the 71-74 Javelin's. Here's what they look like.

I couldn't agree with you more on this "As to the accuracy of any gauge of this era? I really don't think any of them were accurate and no two were exactly alike"!!

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2015 at 9:25am
According to my 1974 TSM that is not a RalleyPac gauge package, but a Standard Javelin instrument panel with the optional 140 mph speedometer. Probably OEM on the Javelin AMX. The ralleyPac gauge package for 1974 consists of a two gauge package ( displayed on page 3-45 fig 3-61 and consists of an ammeter and an oil pressure gauge.
The temperature gauge sensor resistance information is on page 3-52 and while it indicates what the OEM gauge should read as a function of sensor resistance, there is no such thing as a RalleyPack Temperature gauge for 1974, thus no separate sending unit.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2015 at 11:31am
mopar guy... That is precisely where the pointer is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic