TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Windshield removal tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjaakslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield removal tool
    Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 8:52am
My Pacer's windshield developed a crack, so I'm gonna need to replace it. Luckily my parts car has a good windshield, so that car pays itself back right away.

I want to remove at least the broken windshield myself, not sure about the good one yet. Probably have an expert remove that one to be sure. Depends on the risks. Anyone with some tips on removing and what tools to use? What would be better, the string method, or one of those grip cutting tools like this:

Thanks.

Dennis
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:01am
I've used both methods and they both have drawbacks. I preferred the drawknife as there is more control. However, one catch on the edge of the glass WILL crack it using either method. Your expert may crack your glass and I bet he wouldn't guarantee anything. Also, make sure the knife blade is sharp and warm the windshield in the sun for an hour or so. Good luck.
Mike
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:10am
That tool will work fine for removing the old, cracked, windshield you want out, but If I were you, I wouldn't use it to remove the windshield you want to save. One slip with that tool, and you'll break the good windshield.

I could do it, if I had to. but I've removed 100s of windshields and back glasses.

I prefer a wire ( not string). Mig wire or even better piano wire.

No method is foolproof, it takes patience, and skill.

There's so many tricks to it, I'd advise looking for the wire method of windshield removal on U-Tube, and watch several videos.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jun/17/2015 at 9:44am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:12am
I would have the good winshield pulled first, just incase it doesn't make it, you're not without untill you find another.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:19am
I have always used a high e electric guitar string with vice grips for handles. Works just like a cheese cutter.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:51am
Just be aware that if the piano, or banjo wire catches on anything while going around the opening, like a windshield moulding stud, ragged spot weld, if you keep cutting in one spot, the wire will cut a notch in the glass itself, which will break the windshield as soon as it's flexed, or later when re-installed.
sjaakslinger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjaakslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 10:59am
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I'm not so assured now however. Sounds like a lot of risks are involved. I don't care about the broken windshield ending up in pieces, the crack is about 10" now and increasing...so I'll have to exchange it anyway.

If the good windshield gets damaged, I'm pretty scr€wed... Hard to source another one here in the Netherlands. I'll check if car glass companies offe any guarantee when replacing windshields.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 11:20am
It might be different where you are, but here no one, and that includes the big companies that specialize in windshield replacement, will give a guarantee when it come to removing a used windshield.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 12:42pm
I have used all the techniques, but with the old Butyl Rubber, I bought a tool like you show, but it is heated (Hot Knife), I have not broken one since I bought it. It was over $100 US, many years ago...maybe you could borrow one from a friend. I think the P/N is a Snap On YA-108A, the only drawback is you have to keep it moving or is can get the glass inner safely ply too hot and discolor.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 2:36pm
No guarantees , a friend had had his taken out for painting and they broke it . I have to do mine also , have that tool and was going to try it , if it doesn't feel comfortable I'll probably switch to wire . The other thing I was going to do is keep it wet with wd40 . Kind of a solvent / lube to keep it from sticking back down . Anyone ever try something like that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic