TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Starter- grounding out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter- grounding out
    Posted: Jun/13/2015 at 9:14pm
I am putting my 69 Javelin back together, have a Power Master mini starter on it, the wiring instruction say
 1." Install a jumper wire from "Bat" terminal connection  on the starter solenoid to the "Ign" terminal"
         Optional: run the "Switch" wire from the starter relay to the Ign terminal on the starter solenoid.
2. Connect the positive battery wire to the "BAT" terminal on the starter solenoid.

When I disconnect everything from the starter relay I have continuity between the "S" post and all grounds. Is this correct??  Wiring diagram seems to indicate so.

I took this to mean that if I made a jumper wire from the IGN post on the starter to the BAT post on the starter then ran the normal batery wire ( 4 Gauge or so) from the starter relay to the Bat terminal of the starter then hooked the starter relay up as normal everything would work.
The problem I am having is that there is continuity between the 4 gauge starter wire( going tot he starter relay) and the Neg battery terminal and the engine to frame ground, I disconnected everything else and still have the ground issue, I have not hooked a battery up yet , I was checking everything and double checking when I discovered this.  I pulled out the TSM and everything seemed as though it is/was hooked up correctly, the TSM doesn't cover the Hi Torque starter so I thought it may be the problem.

The car is a 69 Javelin, floor shift auto W/ 390, I have the engine to frame ground installed.
Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated.
BC
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 1:56pm
I or IGN is the resistor bypass for the ignition system - I have no idea why they'd mess with that at all.
It's only purpose is to feed the coil battery voltage when it's cranking to bypass a resistance wire or ballast resistor.

Those instructions sound confusing - and what are you considering solenoid and what are you considering relay?
In normal AMC terminology, the "device" on the fender is a solenoid. It actually functions like a relay, but because it has a coil, plunger which is pulled into the coil which performs some other action, I guess it's more solenoid, too.
S is the terminal on the AMC starter solenoid on the fender. When you turn the key to crank, S gets hot from the switch, activates the solenoid which pulls a contact plate between the battery side and the starter side of the solenoid. At the same time, the I terminal is connected.
So power to S via the switch connects the battery side to the I terminal to give the ignition full power AND to the starter side for the cranking current it needs.

IF that starter has a solenoid in it, it likely also has an I and an S terminal - I for ignition to feed the ignition full current when cranking, S to energize the solenoid so it makes the connection to feed power to the starter. The way I see it, you could run a smaller gauge wire from the starter side of the ORIGINAL solenoid on the fender down to the S terminal, and run a battery cable from the + of the battery to the stud on the starter.
That way the solenoid in the fender would be used ONLY to trigger the solenoid on the starter, it would act more like a RELAY then.

In ANY case, with all wires removed, there will be continuity from S, the starter terminal on the solenoid, to ground BECAUSE it's running through the solenoid's coil. There will be whatever resistance the coil has, but it's indeed a path to ground.
S activates the solenoid, and thus cranking action, because current from the key in the start position flows to the S terminal, through the solenoid coil inside and out to ground. So in a sense, yes, S has a ground path. It's not a "short circuit" meaning it has to flow through the coil inside the solenoid, but you will get continuity if you use a light to test it.
DC Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the help, sorry for the delayed response, job requires travel and don't get as much time as I would like to work on my Javelin
BC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic