TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 9:26pm
Cool console! I like seeing MacGyver stuff like that.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2015 at 9:29pm
The center gauge is my Dakota Digital electric speedometer. My dash unit was making noise so I attached a generator to the cable and went electric. Works great. I expect I will have to recalibrate it when the Rambler gets moving again.

Played with my console a bit today.
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2015 at 12:07pm
Time for a update....

I had to go thru some body repair myself, but proud to report that I am doing great since my gall bladder surgery. The staples come out in a 2 more days. I know the operation was a success as I am not full of gas any more !!!! Now some may disagree ...I know I am full of hot air...no gas now....hehehe

I have been doing little stuff on the Rambler...wired in the neutral safety switch. I ran the wiring thru the firewall and out the floor where I cut out for the shifter. My first job after surgery and the lift was the life saver.

Worked on my console as that was a lot of sitting down at the table. It is ready for final installation and assembly in the Rambler.

Got the new floor insulation in. That was a lot of bending and stretching, but I think good exercise.

Next will be the carpet. It will be my first interior cut and trim yourself carpet job. I did the trunk and back seat of the Rambler and now I am cutting loose on a real interior floor. I have watched many others going in. Got plenty of material if I don't my first attempt..

Good news continues on !! I got an E-Mail from Clifford that my intake manifold has finally shipped...... Might be my first beer day when it arrives...

Having AMC FUN hope you are too,
Ollie
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2015 at 1:59pm
Keep the updates coming!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I worked on the console today. It was 96 degrees in my shop. Hard to get outa the air conditioned house. Didn't get to far from the fan either !!

Sneak pre-view....

Have fun,
Ollie
Can't wait to see the car 
We've had days like that here for quite a while this summer. Today was another.
The extreme heat and extreme humidity combined with near-record rains (7" in a day, most of that in one evening) its near impossible to work in my shop some of these days. Much of July I wasn't able to take the heat with the heat index up there so high. 

That console is turning out nice. Maybe I should have you make one for me!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 7:58am
Both myself and the Rambler are on the mend....my surgery staples come out tomorrow.

Still the hot weather marches on....it used to be a big thing our string of 95 degree plus days, now the latest string is 100+ days!

I give the Rambler a few hours in the AM and late evening. Interior carpet is done. Its my first, I cut, carpet job and I am OK with it. Didn't cut many back flips, but I learned a lot too. Not going to use any matts, when that carpet wears I will replace it.

Now I can move on to the final wiring; which is getting the new ignition switch installed and the final stages of the console. The console must be wired, dropped into place and the last 2 pieces attached. I think it will be much more pleasant under the dash with these staples out. They are kinda poking me.

My Clifford intake finally showed up and I been working on that system. Had a thread yesterday talking about running the water to the intake, I have decided to do it the way Clifford wants. It will have shut off valves to isolate it if the heater does not work to sporty. I have fabricated a bracket for the fuel pressure regulator.

I will get the manifold and headers in and torqued today.
More pictures: http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970

Having fun with my AMC stuff..
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 8:09am
The stock water warmed intake from 81 up has water heat and a ceramic heater directly under the carburetor. That is controlled by a relay which is controlled by a temperature sensor. When the water temp reaches something like 165, the electric heater shuts off.

For the after-market intakes with water warming, what about using an inline heater valve? A lot of AMCs, or for that matter, other makes, should have a heater valve you could use to either bypass the water through the intake to a bypass hose, or shut it off on either end depending on how you plumb it.
Like a real heater core, you only really need to block water either going in or coming out to prevent heating the intake should it not fit your fancy. You could then run a simple vacuum control, or a simple cable like a choke cable, and open or close it never opening the hood. Vacuum would be simple - AMC used vacuum switches for the HVAC, or even use the vacuum switch from, uh, say an Eagle 2wd/4wd switch.
Move a lever, push a button, pull a cable/knob and shut the water heat off for the intake.
Me, around here I'd leave it going as it's only going to be the same temp as the engine stat regulates at and with our moist air and cool AMs we need the intake heat.
I've frozen throttles solid and I mean SOLID, on AMC 6's before when I didn't have manifold heat on a cool spring or fall morning when the humidity was high. I saw ice hanging on the carb, frost on the intake and the throttles stuck at about 1500 RPM.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 8:29am
Bill,
Like your ideas.

I was planning on 2 valves but I see you only need one. Cold starting is not a Mississippi issue. Upper teens are rare.

I personally feel this water thing is complete over kill but I am just trying to go with the FLOW....(inside water joke.. )

Nothin' but a thing...hehehhehehehehe
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 9:40am
hardeeeharharhar LOL.
Must be that southern humor. Dealing with the hot and wet you have to have it to survive, I guess.
Wink

The water heat is not for starting, it's for after it's already running,  to keep the carburetor from getting cold due to the effect of the expanding air flow through it. It may be 80 degrees out but that carburetor throat and the top of the intake will be much cooler. Too cool doesn't bode well for fuel atomization, etc.
Yeah, you want cool intake air, but when your middle school physics kick in, after the air, now with fuel hopefully, flows through the venturi it enters a larger area and expands. As a gas expands it's average temperature drops - and it takes heat energy away from surrounding things, like the carburetor throat and the part of the intake directly under the carburetor. The effect can be enough to literally cause the throttle body or lower part of the carburetor to reach sub-32 degree temperatures. The cooler air, especially if moist or humid, can't hold all the water vapor that was in it before it entered the carburetor so it loses it at the carburetor throat, the throttle plates, etc.
You now have a throttle area that is 32 degrees or lower even if the air temp is 40 or 50, and you have water vapor condensing on these cold parts - and you have ice. The ice can restrict the idle and off-idle circuit outlets, collect in the region around the throttle plate and so on, causing it to run like crap or like I experienced, freeze the throttle plates into position, literally.
I've seen a whole lot of iced up carburetors on AMC 6s over the years - when the heat riser valve got stuck wide open (rust, carbon, etc. or in my case I installed headers and a different intake and no longer had a heated intake at all) and the cool, not cold necessarily, but cool weather drive-ability stunk to say the least. Poor idle, hesitation, rough running and so on.
Fix the problem, drive-ability came back.
There are a ton of variables, but cold carburetor throats explain a lot of driveability issues and we fixed a whole lot of plugged exhaust cross-over passages on V8 cars of all makes and models, including AMC, but especially certain other makes - and fixed a lot of heat riser valves on AMC engines over the years.

You'll know soon enough if you want or need it or not.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2015 at 1:32pm
Finally got the Clifford manifolds installed. Had a bit of adversity but surmounted and survived. I had made a post in 6 cyl engines regarding them. Had to do some fitting.

Console is completed. I think it came out good. Got the passenger seat back in. Going to hold off on the drivers side seat until I am sure the gas pedal works good.

I will make one more console. A cup and fire extinguisher holder between the buckets.

It has been so hot here that my work schedule has completely changed. I start work at 7 AM and shut down at 11 AM. Today at 11 it was 94 in my shop.

Got to get going on the carb and water hook up. Hope to fire up on Wednesday.

More pics: http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970

Have Fun,
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>
  Share Topic