TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ollie's 66 American Convertible
    Posted: Jun/03/2015 at 2:52pm
I am starting this new thread because my project “The Restoration of Rapid Delivery” has taken an abrupt turn and ground to a halt.

The Rambler transmission just underwent a major overhaul. When the BW M-35 was torn down we discovered that the main bearing was not correct. In a previous overhaul an improper bearing was inserted direct to the aluminum case. It fit tight to start with but it started wallowing around, not rigidly held by the case causing a vibration. They machined a metal sleeve to hold the proper bearing and mounted the sleeve in the case.

After 3,000 highway miles the trans is shifting great and no vibration. BUT..when the ambient temperature is above 85F and at 65-70 mph it is leaking fluid out the front seal. I am not going to mess with it any more.

I have decided to swap drive trains, Jeep to the Rambler and Rambler to the Jeep.I am confident that the Rambler transmission will do great in the 45 mph Jeep.

I am rebuilding the 232 with a few goodies; Clifford Performance intake with a 2 barrel Weber carb, electric choke, headers, dual exhaust, Isky 256 Super Cam, and Clifford Valve cover.

The 727 trans and converter to be rebuilt stock. Don’t see much of a mounting issue with the trans, but will have to add approx. 13” to the drive shaft.

The gas pedal will be Lokar with Lokar throttle and kick down cables.

I will have to redo my console as I plan use the shifter out of the Jeep. But it needed some changes to it any way.

The block is in the machine shop and we should have a report by Monday or Tuesday. It looked good when we tore it down.

Picture link http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - Feb/28/2016 at 8:00am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2015 at 6:34am
Have a de-coding question regarding the 727 transmission I took out of the Postal Jeep....

According to the shop manual AMC stamped each transmission. The first 7 digits were the part number; I believe them to be P593294, the next 4 digits were the date code 5507; the last digits were the serial number 642.

Can anyone de-code the date 5507?

Located a guy thru a friend and we are taking the transmission to him today. My regular trans man cannot get to it for a couple months   
This is on the tail shaft. I would say it was cast Feb 1976. Now I cannot say that the trans housing and tail shaft left the factory together.

Ollie
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2015 at 10:21am
Ollie, I am all eyesApprove, keep the updates coming....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2015 at 3:21pm
Transmission update...
Got hold of my regular Mopar trans guy and he told me it will be about a month before he can get to me...

Called another Mopar buddy and he told me he knows the man, come on down. It was a 70 mile drive.

Just got back from the transmission shop. I like the guy right off and could see he knew Mopar transmissions. Left my trans & torque converter there and he told me it will be done by Tuesday or Wednesday. He will get a re-built torque converter. Told me $500 cash, if nothing surprising. I doubt there will be as it was shifting....crappy...but shifting. Kickdown was not hooked up and that is real bad on the clutches.   
Having fun,
Ollie
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2015 at 3:50pm
I'm going to miss the Rapid Delivery updates, but am looking forward to the new thread!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2015 at 12:41pm
Scott,
Rapid Delivery will rise from the ashes and live again !@! Trust me....

Got a call from the machine shop and not the best news. We got a crack, below a freeze plug. About 4 inches but not real bright, but its leaking from the freeze plug. He think's it can be ground out.

Me and Pete's solution. We are going to grind it and JB Weld it, and put the freeze plug in..

I would buy a bare 232 inspected block if I can do it reasonably. You got one For Sale? I am a tug boat Captain by profession, and I will tell you a true story. Blew a piston thru the block on a 8-71 GM generator. JB Welded the block back together, re-sleeved it and a complete overhaul at sea. I got back on that tug 2 years later and that generator was still running.

Any comments, suggestions, been there..done that comments are EXTREMELY welcome...
Ollie

PS Parts arrived today...more posts coming
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2015 at 6:51am
Transmission at the trans shop, block and head in the machine shop...both should be home this week.

Been cleaning and painting accessories. Most of my ordered parts are here, waiting on the cam. Think I about have got everything covered except my Lokar stuff. Going to get that coming this week.

Wife will pick up the carpet today as she has to go home to attend a funeral. Will have to redo the carpet and console when I do the shifter.

Keep having fun with your AMC,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 3:48pm
Big day in the Rambler business...

Picked up the block, head, crank, oil pan and timing chain cover from the machine shop. Ready for paint and assembly.

My 256 cam is here and engine compartment paint. I decided to get custom mixed spray can paint for the engine compartment. I thought that might be easier than mixing and spraying. I might regret my decision, but we shall see.

Still waiting on a call from the transmission shop. Ordered all my Lokar stuff and engine internal parts today.

Keep having AMC FUN,
Ollie

PS>>>I forgot....HOT DAY at the machine shop..3 AMC blocks a 196,my 232 and a 258...WoW WooW
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 4:55pm
What year & model is the Rambler??? Will the 727 fit in the transmission tunnel??

Nice looking header, who makes it??

Tugboat captain sounds like a cool job!!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 5:42pm
Scott,
The Rambler is a 1966 American convertible. The 232 is 1974 and I think the 727 trans is 1976.

Farna, Mr. Frank is about 99% sure it will fit the tunnel and the tape measure looks good too. It also looks like the transmission mount is mighty close too. Its going in, no matter what I have to do !!

Retired is the best job I have ever had....hehehehehe
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
  Share Topic