TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Joe Little Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 12:08pm
let me know when you can get the flares. I am also in Va. Thanks 
jjwbeach View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjwbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 9:17pm
Any Spirit flare update per chance?
1970 AMX BBG X-code 390, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1979 Spirit AMX H-code('71 amc blue), 401, A/C, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1970 BBO AMX 4 speed, A/C, Tilt, original needs restoring
Brutixx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 5:34pm
Can the flares be repaired at all?
I inherited my uncles cars including the AMX and the flares are very brittle and small chunks are chipped out of them

1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 7:52pm
Brutixx,

I don't think it is possible to repair brittle flares. I have orange, blue and black flares. The orange are the most brittle. The other two are not brittle.

Most people just don't put the flares back on. The brittle ones aren't very durable anyway and bad flares look bad.

This is why I am trying to get the Flares made. Not an easy task and gonna cost a few bucks. I have the first run for fender welt here but I haven't tested it on a flare yet. It does seem very similar to the NOS 40 year old stuff that I have.

Anyway, I hope to have a prototype set of front flares in early 2020. Once they are fitted to a car, we will go into production. I think I have to purchase 20 sets for the first run.

Stay tuned for updates.

VR,
Dave
Brutixx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2020 at 5:49pm
What are the prices for the flares and can they be shipped out of country?

CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by 1ManGang 1ManGang wrote:

Brutixx,

I don't think it is possible to repair brittle flares. I have orange, blue and black flares. The orange are the most brittle. The other two are not brittle.

Most people just don't put the flares back on. The brittle ones aren't very durable anyway and bad flares look bad.

This is why I am trying to get the Flares made. Not an easy task and gonna cost a few bucks. I have the first run for fender welt here but I haven't tested it on a flare yet. It does seem very similar to the NOS 40 year old stuff that I have.

Anyway, I hope to have a prototype set of front flares in early 2020. Once they are fitted to a car, we will go into production. I think I have to purchase 20 sets for the first run.

Stay tuned for updates.

VR,
Dave

I bought a set of 6 used flares for my 79. 4 black, one wedgewood blue painted over black and one canary yellow for 400 stinking bucks. The 2 black fronts were cut off at the bottoms at some point and unusable except for patch material. The black Kraton was the most flexible and to remove the decals I had to slowly work them off with a small brush soaked in xylene and scraper to not melt the Kraton. The yellow was the worst and most brittle but was able to reinforce and repair the damaged screw holes and cracks and pits using 3M flexible epoxy reinforced with aluminum drywall patch screen (great stuff). I then sanded and sprayed SEM flexible body filler primer and then lightly sanded with 800 and hit it with the base/clear. Yes it is tedious work but a Spriit AMX is not an AMX without the flares and was worth the effort.

I purchased the front reproduction spoilers as well and was very disappointed. What I found was that I painted them base/clear 6 months ago and put them on a flat shelf in my air conditioned garage that never gets over 80 degrees. I pulled them out last week to finally install and they were severely warped. I put them out in the sun for an hour and they became soft and was able to slowly work them back into position without cracking the new paint but whatever the material that was used on these is inferior and will warp in direct sunlight. I ended up filling the hollow backs of these with 3M rigid pillar foam to reinforce and hold their shape and position. If the same material was used for the flares they would likely warp in areas not supported.

Brutixx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2020 at 7:32pm
I have tried my best to repair the drivers rear flare that is brittle from the Az heat where my uncle John lived but could not find anything that would stick to the flare and have the flex that the flare does
I need just the drivers rear flare but I wont find one here as I have the only one in NZ

SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2020 at 11:25am
Working with Dave, we have reproduced the welting. The welting is available in Black or natural (clear-ish or whiteish). The factory NOS ones we copied from were natural. They will obviously need to be painted with the car. We decided to make black ones as that is a very common color of the cars.

Dave is working the flares. I am sure he will chime in shortly on the status.

The welting kit we are putting together will have four pieces that are cut to the same length as the NOS ones that we copied.

Welting kits are available now. We need to get pictures up on this thread soon.

Jon
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 9:35am
i know it has been a few months  any word yet 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

rjpspirit82 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjpspirit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2021 at 9:55am
Good day. I saw a old post about flares and was wondering if these were ever produce? I would be interested in a set of front and back and front air dam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
  Share Topic