TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 8:06pm
We didn't get much response from all the people who said they were interested originally.

I haven't started chasing them down via PM yet.  We believe that the interest in getting a quality product exists in enough numbers to do this.  It is looking like the front flares will be reproduced first.  After they are available and people can purchase/see and touch them on a car or two, we will look at doing the back flares.  

We will also have to make a decision if the welt needs to be reproduced.  Original welt is probably pretty crispy by now but I don't know if people running the reproduction flares will want the welt.  I have seen cars with and without. 

I hope to hammer out a few more details in the near future.  I would really like to see some flares under the tree for Christmas!

VR,
Dave
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 10:38pm
Just a couple days ago, I saw someone on one of the Facebook groups asking what to expect to pay for a set. I'm sure you already have, but just in case, maybe check the "AMC Hornet, Gremlin, Concord, Eagle, and Spirit" group?

As an aside, I saw mention of the welting from a Toyota Tacoma being a workable substitute earlier in the thread; can anyone direct me to more details on this? I have a set of flares that are going to be installed pretty soon, so it'd be helpful to know in case there's any gaps.
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 9:24pm
knobbler

I don't do facebook so I didn't see anything over there.  I have plenty of things keeping me busy without one more.  I might be missing out but I will probably survive.

We don't have pricing yet.  I am trying to get an idea of a price for the flares, boxed from the MFR.  Then I will have to see if we are talking about any surcharges for oversized/top load and shipping.  Unit cost at MFR is one price but the real price is when it arrives at your door.  I am hoping the MFR has an idea but I have a feeling his large parts are shipped via truck to another Automaker.

I don't know anything about a Toyota Welt.  I am game to take a look at price and availability but I don't have any details.  I would suspect that supplies would be limited unless it is pretty current or reproduced for a Supra or Celica.  If details become available don't be afraid to share.

VR,
Dave
jjwbeach View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjwbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 8:07pm
I would go 4 sets, I do need front spoilers too. 
1970 AMX BBG X-code 390, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1979 Spirit AMX H-code('71 amc blue), 401, A/C, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1970 BBO AMX 4 speed, A/C, Tilt, original needs restoring
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 10:23pm
I also need one set of flares front and rear. Let me know please.
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 7:16pm
All,

We are close to starting work on the Front Flares.  Depending on success / affordability of the front flares, we will do the rear flares.  78 and 79/80 rear flares are different from each other so there will be 4 individual molds to make the rear flares.  

I will post an update in a few weeks.

VR,
Dave
jjwbeach View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjwbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 6:59pm
They are so beautiful, any news on repops?
1970 AMX BBG X-code 390, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1979 Spirit AMX H-code('71 amc blue), 401, A/C, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1970 BBO AMX 4 speed, A/C, Tilt, original needs restoring
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2018 at 5:13pm
Update.  I have been busy with things and didn't get the packaging and QA figured out yet.  

The packaging will help everyone plan of what it will cost to ship these flares.  They are rather large and nobody wants them to arrive damaged.  We are probably looking at special handling (Top Load) and oversize so there could be some cost in the shipping.  I am thinking about heading for St Louis next year so delivery may make things cheaper but that isn't fully planned yet.

QA is still a little bit of a problem.  The Flares will be made in Ohio.  I am in VA and Garsod is in CO.  Ideally, QA should happen at the factory or as close as possible since they need to make the changes and understand why. I haven't worked out if Kennedy American or APD may have a 78 Concord / Gremlin or Spirit available for QA.  A local AMCer could also be a good fit for this function.  Once the Car is in place, somebody needs to mount or temp mount (spring clips), the Flares to see how they lay on the fender and where they may need work since they are a little stiffer.  This is a critical step and probably shouldn't be done by the MFR alone.  I could trailer one of my cars out there or fly out and mock things up on a car that is there.  Either way, there is some cost.

I considered performing QA with just the fenders but then we won't see how the flares tie to the spoiler until after the production run.  

Anyway, these are the last two problems in this process.  They aren't huge but they could be pricey.  

VR,
Dave
cosa View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 4:48am
Great job Dave!  ClapThumbs Up
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 9:04pm

Nothing to report since the last post but I intend to get back on this in the next few weeks.  I am hoping to have front flares by June.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
  Share Topic