TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares
    Posted: Mar/21/2015 at 7:56pm
Lets start the discussion about reproducing the flares for the 1979-1980 Spirit AMX and the front flares for the Gremlin GT and Concord AMX.  There is a minimum of 12 sets to get this process off the ground at $650.00 per set that equals 7800.00. Then there will be about a $20.00 Packaging fee per set plus I would estimate $40.0-90.00 shipping from Ohio. Rough guess per person shipped would be about $730.00 per set. There have been some discussions about Kick Starter being used to get this funded, I have no idea about that but would be interested to learn and front a set or two. Who wants to look into this and report back?

The best news is that I have a set(4) of NOS flares that I am purchasing and should have in a week or two that I will be willing to send to Mirror Image to make the molds from.

I know that there are a couple of concerns that have been brought up about making sure that they fit correctly being that the material will be stiffer than OEM. That will have to be reviewed with Mirror Image and I'm sure a solution can be found.

SO WHO IS IN????????

I'm in for 2 sets that leaves 10 others to commit.

Questions? Comment?

Let see if we can make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Garson

Edited by garsod - Sep/18/2017 at 1:54pm
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by garsod garsod wrote:

SO WHO IS IN????????

I'm in, I'm definitely in.
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
SPIRITAMX79 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPIRITAMX79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2015 at 7:37am
Count me in!

Regarding Kickstarter, I have been looking into this and I believe this is the way to go. But to put this project in place we need an exact cost per set (packed up and shipped). This way we know exactly how much to set the "funding goal" at. We wouldn't want to meet the goal and then realize we underestimated, because the person who started the project will have to cover the difference. Also, since this will be a public project, there is the chance that more than just our community here on the forum will pledge, possibly resulting in surpassing the goal. I doubt that will happen because so few people even know these cars exist, let alone own them, but that being said, it is possible that more than just us will pledge, meaning Mirror Image will have to make and ship more flares than anticipated. But I'm sure that would be no problem, as it's such a niche car. It's not like thousands of people will be pledging. Kickstarter does take a 5% cut of a successfully funded project, and 3%per pledge over ten dollars. Usually with other Kickstarter projects that the creator is pitching to the whole world, they offer different "tiers" of pledge packages to attract more people. For example, just say I create the Fender Flare project. Tier 1 could be any pledge amount under the cost of the actual flares. This allows for other people to pledge a little bit here and there just to help the cause with no reward other than helping a brother out. Tier 2 would be the 700 or 800 dollars (whatever the final cost). If project is successful, your reward is the flares and you get charged only after goal is met. And Tier 3 could be like a few dollars more, say 25 or 30 and you get, say a custom "AMX" t shirt or something exclusive like that. I'm just trying to paint a picture here of how it works. I'm sure everyone here will just pay for their flares and that would be enough.

What do you think?
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the information on Kickstarter. I am open to this type of project. I spoke with Mirror Image and asked about the flares fitting correctly due to being molded off the vehicle. He stated that he has a Spirit that he can use to mount them on for casting. The will ensure the flares fit correctly.

I'm concerned that there is not enough interest to make this happen.

Kickstarter appears to be a great option. I'm open to having the purchasing of these available to who ever wants one. If there is someone willing to get that started I will help.

Dave
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 1:25pm
Check is in the mail for 4 NOS flares.  How do we get more interest for this project? Dave
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPIRITAMX79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 2:07pm
Great news. That must have cost a small fortune! I'm possibly willing to start the project on Kickstarter. I will be PMing you soon to get some info. I would imagine anyone who ordered the spoiler would also want the flares, even if they already have them on their car, it would be good to have the nicer new ones in a matching better than factory material. Also, if the molds are made, you could rest easy knowing if anything happens to your precious flares, you don't have to sell your soul to get a replacement. Let's get this going people!
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 1:51pm
The UPS fairy just showed up today with a big box!! The flares have arrived and I will be unboxing them later today. Pictures will follow!!!!!!!! 
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 3:23pm
Here they are and they are as good as I could have ever imagined!!!!!!!!!!!  They will need some clean up as they have bumps and scratches from being around for 30 years. I have spoken with Mirror Image and there is a second option to get them created. Vacuum forming is an option that he is able to provide and thinks that there would be a considerable savings over the low pressure two part molding process like we did for the front spoilers.  The outside would be a perfect reproduction of the flare however the inside would not be an exact match with vacuum forming. He stated that the material used for Vacuum forming can be up to a 1/4 inch thick and remain flexible. John has the pictures and will get back to me next week with his ideas of manufacture type and pricing.  What are your thoughts forum members?

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPIRITAMX79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:27pm
Excellent! Did you sell your soul to the devil for these?!? Good find! Mirror Image knows their stuff so I'm sure they will come up with the best possible method for making these. That being said, I was very happy with the material and the thickness of the front spoiler and was hoping the flares would be of the same specs so they would match up perfectly. Either way, I'm glad progress is being made :)
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:54pm
Luckily I was able to purchase these for a very fare price and I was able to keep what is left of my soul. I hope that this project can move forward. Next week we should have all the details we need to put together the final cost of them and see about starting a Kickstarter campaign.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic