TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Changing pinion seal? AMC20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing pinion seal? AMC20
    Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 3:08pm
I've developed a noticable leak at the pinion seal in my AMC20 in my '74 Javelin (non LSD).  I'm wondering what "special tools" I might need to change it .. and if I'd need to replace the crush washer when I remove the pinion flange to replace the seal?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 3:27pm
Remove the yoke using impact gun, pop out the seal, inspect the seal mating surface on the yoke..make sure smooth, place some lube on the lip of the seal, install new seal, re-install the yoke....by the book you should install a new self locking nut and torque the nut per the TSM.  In a pinch I have re-used nut, by applying Loctite on clean threads and running back on with 1/2" impact gun.  The crush sleeve should not be effected by the impact gun....it takes more torque then then a typical 1/2" gun can put out to crush the sleeve.  No real special tools... 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
OzJavelin2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 8:45pm
Sweet .. thanks
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2015 at 1:26am
You can actually mark the pinion nut and shaft so that you can make sure the nut goes back approximately where it started when you put it back together.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2015 at 6:56am
I did one quite a few years ago and cranked a new nut down with a 1/2" flex bar until I felt it get tight, then staked the nut so it wouldn't come loose again. Saw the guy in a store that had sold the Jeep to me and after telling him what I'd done he just yelled 'pinion seal' and stormed off. I think someone had told him he needed a new differential.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2015 at 4:59am
Are all AMC 20 pinion seals and pinion nuts the same?

I can see a lot for CJ/SJ jeeps but nothing for cars ..
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2015 at 5:11am
I believe so, since the gears are a direct interchange too.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 3:39am
Well .. Got my seal kit .. Now can't get the nut off the pinion.

I've got a 1/2" air wrench .. No good. 3/4" do the job if I can rent one?
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 3:51am
Never mind the air wrench. You need leverage. Last time I did one of those I used a floor jack to lever the breaker bar with a cheater bar on the breaker.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OzJavelin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2015 at 4:47pm
Hmm .. luckily I *WASNT* able to get the nut off.  I  forgot to check the preload (I marked the nut/pinion/yoke .. and the yoke in relation to the universal/driveshaft).  

I've now realised that my inch/lb tension wrench is a "click" type and not suitable for this .. I can't get a reading as the yoke spins apparently as so an I put any load on it.

The TSM says to remove the wheels/drums and check preload (supposedly around 18 inch-lb).  I can't measure this without a dial-type tool as with both wheels off the ground I touch the yoke and the whole lot moves.

I thought about trying something I read on a Jeep forum, where they tied a small bag to one of the yoke nuts and added weight until the yoke would turn.  I suppose if you can duplicate this in reassembly, a *measurement* doesn't matter?

[ remembering I still have the index marks on the nut/yoke as well ]

.. confused ..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic