TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Indy cylinder heads; mod man intake.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 6:19pm
that is Flat out NUTS but what a ride OMG
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 6:39pm
The base runners are 5+" tall..much taller than the offy manifolds that have been modified by a couple of blower companies for AMC's...the Indy intake looks like it was initially specifically designed for Roots blowers and then the interchangeable tops were incorporated to broaden the possibilities with it.

As for the youtube mopar....he knows too much about the details of the intake for it to be dismissed, so I believe the performance result of it in that car and he compared it to a stock intake as well. It's an animal. Not interested in his other vids so did'nt bother looking. But I think the intake has potential in any of its configurations to make a lot of power as long as it is tailored to the combo.

I'm thinking the dual quad top AMC Modman could be tuned to make more power than a dual quad offy, because of the increased plenum size and longer runners+ it's an "air gap" design cold intake. The Offy runners are are 3" shorter too.

The mopar forums I have been browsing with threads about the six pack top are saying that it far outperforms the factory cast iron mopar 6 pack manifolds and even modified gutted factory 6 pack manifolds.

Not sure how AMC V8's would respond to a 6 pack set up, but as a blower manifold this looks like the best for AMC out there.

Edited by 348AMX - Feb/28/2015 at 8:07pm
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 11:03pm
Offys work good but the short runners and sharp turns make it
a pretty lame manifold that never takes off at any engine speed.
But I am really not knocking the Offy, I owned several and loved them.
My only complaint was they don't have good power above 6,000 rpm
and there's little you can do about it.

The Mod Man should be better at any engine speed.
And if you want to use one as an injection manifold
there are cast in bosses for the injectors. Indy will
machine them in for a small fee.

By the way, I am making a six pack top for my rig in the coming year.
But for now it's dual Eddelbrocks and that really cool oval air cleaner/filter Big smile

Gremlin Dreams
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 11:14pm
Sounds like a good base to make a modern cross-ram off of similar to the Offy "crossram" do-it-yourself kit.

Steve
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Offys work good but the short runners and sharp turns make it
a pretty lame manifold that never takes off at any engine speed.

But I am really not knocking the Offy, I owned several and loved them.

My only complaint was they don't have good power above 6,000 rpm

and there's little you can do about it.

The Mod Man should be better at any engine speed.

And if you want to use one as an injection manifold

there are cast in bosses for the injectors. Indy will

machine them in for a small fee.

By the way, I am making a six pack top for my rig in the coming year.

But for now it's dual Eddelbrocks and that really cool oval air cleaner/filter Big smile

Nice!    I ran the offy on my 343 with headers and a 600 CFM holley and didnt like it that much...it ran smooth and had good power but those runners are really low/flat...not any taller than the stock intake really, and it lacked velocity that the stock intake did making the carb sizing much more critical. To be fair the offy is a very old design that they didnt bother developing further during the muscle car era...even the factory hi po intakes were more highly developed.

They do have a nostaligia factor that a lot of people like, I certainly didnt have any trouble selling in in 2002,,I think I got over 300 for it and it was the single carb version 360 degree.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 11:37pm
Here's video of the dual quad modman supporting a huge big block mopar making over 650 horsepower...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aapjfQyalcg
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 10:00am
I'll stick by my words. Unless it's got a blower on top of it, the mod man is garbage for a performance application. Put a cheap Torker on it and be done, unless you're willing to give up power for the bling factor.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 10:54am
Originally posted by ghinmi ghinmi wrote:

I'll stick by my words. Unless it's got a blower on top of it, the mod man is garbage for a performance application. Put a cheap Torker on it and be done, unless you're willing to give up power for the bling factor.

I agree^^Clap
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 1:50pm
I don't know if I'd go as far as calling the dual quad version garbage after seeing the horsepower numbers it supports on dyno runs on other makes. It's certainly not a tunnel ram, but I bet it would make a lot more power than the other inline dual quad manifold for AMC's..the offy.   Seems to me the modman is a very valid alternative to that dual quad manifold and probably an upgrade.

But I agree I think the torker is by far the easiest choice for making a lot of power on An AMC.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 3:23pm
I'll concede that it's probably less terrible than the offy dual quad, but that's not saying much.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic