TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Postal Jeep Emissions Systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentalfrosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Postal Jeep Emissions Systems
    Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 1:26pm

Hello! I recently bought a 1974 Jeep DJ5C as my daily driver, crazy right? It is equipped with an AMC 232 and Torque-flight 727 transmission, and from my incredibly inexperienced perspective it seems to be running pretty well. This is the first automobile I have ever worked on, so please excuse my lack of knowledge (and thanks in advance for any help!). Any advice anyone can offer on what to check/replace would also be incredibly helpful.

So far I have:

Replaced a cracked and worn crankcase breather hose (cleaned the breather filter, since I couldn't find copper gauze locally)

Replaced the PCV valve and its grommet.

Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.

That’s it!

What I have now realized is that the PO did not have the emissions system hooked up at all, so I am now trying to figure out how to hook all this stuff up properly.

Here are some photos to better illustrate my situation:

Overview

Vapor canister

Carburetor (the PO had plugged the lower port)

I am planning on replacing the vapor canister with a new one following this write-up on the Full Size Jeep Forum ( http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106051 - http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106051)

While the vapor canister is labeled with what to plug in from where, I don’t know for sure where all the those bits are.

PCV: I know that the PCV will come from a T connection at the PCV valve, and I am pretty sure the other side of the PCV plugs into the Carburetor, but I don’t know if it’s the upper or lower port.

Fuel: This is the only line that is hooked up currently, and an easy one to figure out anyways.

Ported Vac: I'm pretty sure that this connects to the carburetor as well, but I am not positive since the carb appears to only have two ports.

Carb: Since the carburetor only has two ports I have no clue where to hook this up.

If anyone can tell me what these ports are, or offer any other advice about where to connect my vacuum lines, I would be very grateful!

Edited by mentalfrosting - Feb/23/2015 at 1:31pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 2:23pm
Hi,
Super cool !! I just bought one myself a few weeks ago.

You need to get a shop manual for your jeep. They are available at postaljeep.net . It will answer all your questions and alot more.

Word of warning: Your jeep did not come with a 727 transmission so you need to make sure you get the proper transmission chapter. (1975 postals had the 727)
Ollie
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 3:50pm
The best way to hook this stuff up is to just get a factory service manual for it. Trying to describe this stuff over the internet is pretty pointless. Manuals are cheap on ebay. Chilton's or Haynes are worthless, you need the actual factory service manual.

Needless to say, the upper (large) fitting on the carb goes to a small tube on the underside of the exhaust manifold. The upper end of this tube comes out the top of the manifold near the carburetor and routes to the choke. If that system is messed up the choke will not open properly and it will run like crap at best. It will also suck in dirty air and ruin the carburetor.

The lower vacuum fitting goes to a the CTO switch screwed into the side of the block under the manifold. Another line from direct manifold vacuum also goes to this same switch, then a third line goes from the switch to the distributor advance.

There is a 2" diameter circle on the underside of the air cleaner snorkel. There is another matching one on the side of the exhaust manifold. A flexible preheater hose is supposed to connect the two so the carburetor gets warmed in cold weather. You need that to run properly in cold weather.

PCV valve in the back of the valve cover should have a 3/8" hose connecting it to a fitting on the side of the intake manifold, below the carburetor. The other hose at the front of the valve cover that goes to the air cleaner should have a mesh filter that is accessed through the air cleaner. Keep the filter clean and lightly oiled.

Edited by FSJunkie - Feb/23/2015 at 3:55pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mentalfrosting View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentalfrosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 4:29pm
Thanks for the rapid replies! I agree that a FSM would be of great help. I managed to find the Jeep 1974 Technical Service Manual online, but it covers the CJ5, CJ6, Wagoneer, Cherokee and Truck, not specifically the DJ5C. I did also find a copy of the DJ5C operators manual online, but its practically worthless for repairs. I also found the parts catalog for the DJ5C, and it has helped a ton to locate compatible parts. I would love to get a DJ5C specific manual, but spending $45 on it just means less cash for parts. I know its well worth its, I'm just financially limited at the moment.

FSJunkie: Thanks for providing details, despite your first line of advice being get a manual. Things are already making more sense!

Also if anyone has any tips on other parts that likely need replacing, I would appreciate it.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 5:14pm
The $45 for the service manual is the "part" you need now.
You stated "excuse my lack of knowledge"
Get your knowledge from the manual.
Why just change parts for the sake of changing parts?
Ollie
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 7:11pm
CJ5 mechanicals should be close enough, especially on the engine.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 9:51pm
You have to remember, when the postal service had it, it did not have to go through an emission test. Years ago even the postal truck drivers didnt even have to have a drivers licence, they had to have a government licence.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentalfrosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

The $45 for the service manual is the "part" you need now.
You stated "excuse my lack of knowledge"
Get your knowledge from the manual.
Why just change parts for the sake of changing parts?
Ollie

Good call, I'll take that advice. I just found and bought a manual on eBay for $25.

Edited by mentalfrosting - Feb/24/2015 at 12:52am
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mentalfrosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

You have to remember, when the postal service had it, it did not have to go through an emission test. Years ago even the postal truck drivers didnt even have to have a drivers licence, they had to have a government licence.

One of the reasons I used to convince myself to buy it was that it doesn't have to pass smog in California.
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 1:03pm
You don't say where you live. Depending on the State you're in you may not need to replace any of that stuff.   The debate goes on but if that Jeep were mine I wouldn't replace any of it. Just an FYI.

But, if your State requires a Smog Check you have to comply.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic