TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc spirit/sx4 1/4 window louvers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amc spirit/sx4 1/4 window louvers
    Posted: Feb/12/2015 at 9:36pm
Hey everyone. I was running the idea with a a friend of mine about trying to make side window louvers for the spirit/sx4.

I have a mint sent of amc originals on my amx I would use for a mold. I am thinking of trying to vacuum form them out of black plastic 1/8 thick of a bit more. There seems to be a need for them.

Wondering how many people would might be interested in them if I could make them. This is in the beginning steps and no idea of price or actual time yet.
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2015 at 5:12am
I'm down for a set, thanks for the effort!!

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
Fjord View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fjord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2015 at 10:32am
I'd be interested, but only in conjuction with rear louvers. Shipping could be a killer unfortunately.
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2015 at 12:29pm
I won't be doing the rear louver. The size of plastic sheet and trying to heat it evenly to try to vacuum mold would be very difficult. 
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 12:20pm
I would be interested however plastic that if vacuum formed would not tolerate the sun and the U.V. and the 3 months of over 100 degree temperatures that exist here during the year. I have an 80 AMX and a custom Spirit both with rear window louvers but after market ones. I also have a brand new in the box set of rear louvers if I need them.
Sorry If I though that they would hold up I would be interested, but I do not think that they would
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 1:12pm
I honestly never even gave the heat or uv light a thought. Was trying to figure out a fast simple way to recreate them with out spending a small fortune.

I actually don't need any for my 3 79 amxs. All of them have rear and side louvers with the exception of one side louver being a bit damaged. I figured it would a project to help get some member hard to find parts.

Still up in the air about trying it or not.
Fjord View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fjord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I would be interested however plastic that if vacuum formed would not tolerate the sun and the U.V. and the 3 months of over 100 degree temperatures that exist here during the year. I have an 80 AMX and a custom Spirit both with rear window louvers but after market ones. I also have a brand new in the box set of rear louvers if I need them.
Sorry If I though that they would hold up I would be interested, but I do not think that they would

Where did you source the aftermarket rear louvers?
Budwisr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budwisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 2:24pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the side window louvers were never available as a factory accessory.

1970 AMX 1980 AMX
<br
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 4:05pm
I don't think ever factory installed. I have 3 different sets of side louvers. 

Two sets I have use 6 tabs that push in behind the window rubber and have amc cast in the back of them.  They have 5 slats

The other set must of been a jc whitney or something because the louver opening are a bit smaller and use 4 nuts to hold them on. Plates with studs get glued or taped to the glass. They have 7 slats

amc style (ones I wanted to copy)

other style (hard to see in the pictures the major difference)

Edited by racerkilla - Feb/02/2017 at 7:10pm
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Fjord Fjord wrote:

Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Where did you source the aftermarket rear louvers?

One set of louvers those on the 80 AMX were either purchased aftermarket about the same time the car was first sold or they were dealer installed. The AMX I have is a some what rare base model and many of the cosmetic features and some performance items are not installed in the car simply because they were options.
The set on my Spirit came from an 81 I saw for sale on the side of the road, I bought it, removed the louvers and installed a new valve cover and sold the car.
The one in the box, I bought at a swap meet.
I don't think aftermarket louvers have been available for this model since some were around 1985 or so.
As far as the side window louvers, in almost 40 years of being in the hobby I have only seen a couple of them installed and I assumed they were OEM. And some people have stated that. The last of the AMX's must have been hard sells as some of them I have seen seemed to have been dealer painted in a less gaudy paint scheme. All of the side louvers I have seen seemed to be the same material and style while rear louvers either matched the side or were obvious aftermarket. If matched the side they were all a plastic material, while rears if alone were metal
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic