TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering Column Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Column Restoration
    Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 5:20pm
I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about cleaning/restoring the steering column from my '69 AMX.  I hoped to just give it a good cleaning and repaint rather than take the whole thing apart, but the wire "mesh" of the collapsible steering column makes it a little difficult to clean or sand underneath.  Just wondering how others have gone about this?

I'm afraid media blasting would get grit down into the works.  Perhaps baking soda would be ok?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by CamJam - Feb/02/2015 at 6:20pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 8:29pm
Non tilts are very easy to take apart and reassemble. Tilts are little trickier but still not a tough project. I'd say dive in!
AMO Newsletter Editor
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 8:46pm
Yeah, they're pretty easy to work on. Disassemble and restore each part individually.
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 9:28pm
Cam, with the great work you're doing on all the parts so far I say go for it. Your TSM should help you through and members here can help if you get stuck.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 10:15pm
Ok, I guess it's one more subassembly that'll be in pieces around the house then.  So far I have the dashboard completely apart on the dining room table, the ac/heater boxes undergoing restoration in the breakfast nook, and tomorrow I'll take on the tilt column, which is a priority because we'll be putting the suspension back on the car soon.

Good thing I'm single, haha.

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2015 at 2:25am
If it's a tilt column you are working on, you'll need one special tool, a thin wall socket to take the nut off the upper shaft. It's Kent Moore J-22599. There's only one on ebay right now but it's a little on the expensive side. I've seen them there for as little as $18...
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2015 at 6:44am
I took mine completely apart and sandblasted everything, wasn't that difficult. Replaced the bottom bearing with a new one from APD. Upper column was eventually painted interior color.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Feb/03/2015 at 6:47am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2015 at 8:23am
With some careful grinding you can make a socket, maybe find a used older one at a flea market, or use an older one you have and replace with a new one.
Frank Swygert
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2015 at 5:02pm
Ok, I'm stumped already.  The FSM says to disconnect the wires and "remove the turn signal cam", but don't give a clue about how to do it without breaking the plastic cam assembly.  It doesn't want to clear a lip on the housing, and I don't want to force it.  What's the trick?  

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2015 at 9:02pm
If I remember right there are three screws that hold the turn signal assembly to the housing. Two are easy to get to, the third is under the turn signal cam (top triangular piece that the turn signal lever screws to). You'll have to either move it up or down, I don't remember which, to get to that third screw. It should come out as one assembly with the wires.

The hazard button unscrews, I think that's the part that is kind of tricky because it fits in the cutout, think you'll need to push it in before removing the assembly. Be sure to remove the wiring covers on the underside. They pop out.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Feb/03/2015 at 9:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic