TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 8:33am
Have not gotten to the brakes yet, but I jumped feet first into the fuel system. Need to get the fuel gauge working. Removed what was left of the sending unit and syphoned the remaining fuel. Will remove and clean the tank. I hope my cleaning kindness does not create a leak as it is good now.

The gauge is not working, but I do have power to it. Also the wire from the sending unit to the dash checks good. I see that I will have to replace both the gauge and sending unit.

I have discovered that the DJ and CJ tanks are not the same and the sending units are different.

I now have a question.
I can understand the sending units being different because of a different shape of the tank. My question...is the mounting ring the same?
If so, I believe I can modify the pick-up tube and bend the float arm to work. Also there seems to be a vent tube connection on the CJ sender, not a big deal.
There is a big cost difference $30 vs $90

I am not worried about the gauge as I have a autometer fuel gauge that matches the ohms of the CJ sending unit.

Need someone who has "been there, done that" to chime in.
Ollie
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 2:39pm
I have not done this swap but as a good guess they all look to be of the same size when round.

Is there any way to look up the gaskets for the 2 to see if they are the same part numbers? If they are then I would say it's good it will seal/lock.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 3:57pm
That's the answer....I don't have part number books
I agree with you,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 7:18am
I worked on Rapid’s fuel tank today. Removed and cleaned it inside and out. I did find the missing float for the sending unit.

Discovered the fuel tank has been in an accident. The rear bumper lines up perfectly with the crease in the tank. A living testament to AMC iron, never been repaired and never has leaked.

While reading the shop manual, I discovered that the DJ has an 11 gallon tank. The CJ tank is 15 gallon. So there is the answer to the question why CJ tanks will not fit in a DJ; 4 gallons is a lot in size.

Now back to the question of the fuel sending unit… DJ vs CJ… I think that the shape of the fuel pick tube on the CJ sender unit is a different length than the DJ. Also maybe the swing of the float may be different due to the different tank sizes. But, I am still convinced that if the mounting hole is the same size I can make the CJ sender work. I might have to modify the pickup tube a bit.

Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 12:53pm
I went ahead and ordered the CJ fuel sending unit. It should arrive Thursday. If it fits the tank hole I feel I can get it working.

Cleaned and painted the fuel tank.

I got a shocking discovery concerning the fuel gauge. The Autometer gauge I have is not what the box says !!! The ohms of the gauge is backwards of what I need. I am going to use it, and it’s installed. I think it will work but backwards. When the gauge reads full it will be empty.

“Rapid Delivery” will be making fuel. Starting off at empty and going to full. Good vehicle!!!
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2015 at 9:39am
My new CJ fuel sender unit arrived and it is mighty close to what I pulled out. You can see the pickup tube lengths and the float swing are very close. The gasket and sealing ring are the same. The unit meters out 73 ohms empty and 10 full, exactly what I had discovered. I don’t know what a DJ ohms out at but my guess is the same. There is also a tank vent on the sending unit, but I just plugged that as the tank itself is vented.

I see what they do for the bigger CJ tank. There is a filter that pushes onto the pickup tube to add extra overall length. You cannot use that in the DJ tank. I will install an inline filter before the fuel pump.

Got the sending unit and tank installed and powered up. With the tank empty; my gauge, which has the ohms reading backwards, went immediately to full. One gallon of gas, gauge reads 7/8 full; 2 gallons reads ¾ full; 3 gallons 5/8 full; 4 gallons ½ full.

The end result is when the gauge is E you are full and when it reaches ½ tank you need to get fuel. Anything over ¾ full you are flirting with danger.

I bypassed and removed the ammeter gauge. I will replace it with a volt gauge. The ammeter gauge has been the down fall of many an old Mopar wiring harness. I don’t need that issue.

All and all the wiring harness is in excellent shape, not been messed with too much.

Having fun with my AMC, hope you are too.
Ollie
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2015 at 11:39am
Ollie, you might want to consider a re-think on the length of the pickup tube. Firstly, ALL sending units are supposed to have the push on filter (AKA sock). That doesn't make the tube longer. If your new sending unit has a shorter pick-up tube you may run the risk of getting into a situation, like going up a hill, where the tube is too short to reach any available gas and you may stall from lack of fuel. Maybe you can braze on an extension?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 9:15am
Started working on the front brakes and I have discovered that both fronts are missing the self-adjusting parts. Not a problem, I am now the adjuster.

The right front had the correct shoes, but the brake linings are all cracked.

The left front had the wrong shoes, both shoes had large linings. Should have a smaller lining in the front. Both linings are cracked also.

I plan on turning the drums, cleaning up everything, repack the wheel bearings and install new shoes (that came with the jeep)
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 9:21am
Got the front brakes completed. Bleed the system and got rid of the mixture of fluid, silicone and regular. You can see the shoes were bad.
Ollie
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 4:42pm
Did you get to the rears yet? It almost looks like the rears may not have been doing anything and the fronts over heated and why they cracked.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic