TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 4:55pm
Rapid went to his first car show today. It was held at Pelahatchie High School supporting the girls softball team. About 35 cars and I knew 90% of the owners. Met a real nice couple new to the car business. There nest just got empty last year. Best of all the wife drives a post office LLV and she loved Rapid.

Rapid has been running perfect since the new points.

BUT..we did have brake light issues; not wanting to work. I read the book and it has a pressure differential warning light on the dash gauge cluster. It senses a pressure difference between the front and rear brakes. You can see there are two pressure switches on the brake splitter....

I just simplified the wiring and it now works only as a brake light switch.

Sure been fun learning how to drive on the right side......hehehehehehe
I watch the white line on the side of road to judge the center line. Kinda crazy but it works for me.

Got a new bug eye mirror for the left side. BIG help!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 6:01pm
-Always enjoy looking at your AM General DJ and reading your posts.
Interesting to see the pressure senders on the dual brake circuit device -glad you got your brake lights hooked up anyway.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Thobbs View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 3:21pm
I just bought me a 74 DJ5 and am in need of parts really bad, fuel tank, backup lights, brake lights, side marker back lights, can any of these be replaced with led's, and if so where can they be purchased. But specially the gas tank, do you know where one can be purchased, and the sending unit also. Thanks very much, Teresa at teresa164@hotmail.com
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Thobbs Thobbs wrote:

I just bought me a 74 DJ5 and am in need of parts really bad, fuel tank, backup lights, brake lights, side marker back lights, can any of these be replaced with led's, and if so where can they be purchased. But specially the gas tank, do you know where one can be purchased, and the sending unit also. Thanks very much, Teresa at teresa164@hotmail.com

You'll want to check out http://postaljeep.net.  They have lots of very affordable new parts as well as a fleet of parts jeeps that they can take stuff off of.  If you don't see it on the site, call them up. They're very helpful.  I had a 72 DJ-5 for a short while and found that site to be invaluable.

Good luck and have fun in your Jeep!

Ray
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Thobbs Thobbs wrote:

Welcome to the DJ world. Most of the DJ parts are interchangeable with a regular CJ, but some are not.

All the lights are standard size and are available at truck supply places. Yes you can replace the lights with led.

The gas tank is different. You need to repair the original tank as none are re-popped. A competent radiator or maybe a welding shop can repair yours.

The fuel sending unit is out there. A DJ unit is about twice the price but a cj unit will work just fine. That's what I used.

Glad to help you with any questions.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 12:25pm
Been having fun driving Rapid Delivery !! He's a head turner.

The other day a picked up a 92 Ford Ranger for the rear axle for my 69 Rambler American build. You never come out ahead in the hobby car business but i actually did a good deal on the Ranger. I bought the Ranger for $350. After removing the rear axle and wheel& tires i took it to the scrap yard and got $225. Today i took the aluminum wheels and radiator to the scrap yard and got $30. For $95 i ended up with a fantastic set of tires for Rapid and a rear axle for the 69 build. Not bad, i better brag about it as my stories usually go the other way........hehehehe  LOL

Nice tires, they decode 3 years and 10 months old. They are extremely low mileage. 

Rapid is all happy with is new shoes. Raining today so i didn't take him for a ride yet.

Ain't the red lug nuts fancy?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic