TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

overdrive trans info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overdrive trans info
    Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:00pm
What is the best automatic overdrive transmission option to put in my 82 spirit?It has the original GM 2.5 inline 4 cylinder.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:28pm
Probably a 700 R4. But what bellhousing pattern does it have? Older ones had the SBC pattern, but later ones have the same one as the 2.8 chevy V6.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:34pm
Not knowing the GM 2.5 bell housing bolt pattern but if the same as a 200 r4 or is it 200 4r? but I would look into that thinking it would be the easiest if bolts are the same.

Now when checking that out also check what gear ratios are used in the rear with that trany. Because the car has a 3 speed now it may have a higher ratio to keep the RPM down on the Hi Way but bolt in an OD trany and the RPM may be too low to use OD with the 2.5 motor.
The other thing to look at is the first gear ratios in both tranys. If the OD is a little higher than the 3 sp. you may want to change the rear gear to a lower ratio and that would work better with the OD trany.

It is a lot to check but to have a car that is nice to drive over one that is good to drive is doing all the home work first.
Keep us posted
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:35pm
Your 2.5L 4 cylinder engine is mated to the Chrysler 904 transmission using an adapter. I am not sure whether the torque converter is a lock up converter or not, but if it is, have a 2200  rpm stall converter built for that package and then use a 2.53 rear axle. This would give you a simulated 4 speed au tomatic and the 2200 rpm lock up would pull well from a dead stop but when in  high with the torque converter locked  up it would act as if it is geared for about  1000rpm/32 mph giving a nice cruising speed.  I have my 80 Spirit set that way but it also has 258 cu in engine.
The next option would be to look into 200R automatic.
The 2.5L engine has a Chevy bell  housing Bolt pattern so it would bolt up to the thing. The question would be is there a flex plate and torque converter that would work.
There is a GM aftermarket parts book that I have that I think might call  those things out.   But maybe going to a GM parts location,  something that at least talks performance and asking if there is flex plate, torque converter package that would let  you bolt up a 151 c u in Pontiac 4  cylinder engine to the 200R automatic.
Cause that is what that engine is and  it was in a lot of cars and was an option on the Pontiac Firebird and that would have been the 200r4 speed automatic transmission.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Probably a 700 R4. But what bellhousing pattern does it have? Older ones had the SBC pattern, but later ones have the same one as the 2.8 chevy V6.
A 700 with a 2.5L 4 cly would that be too much of an over kill?? IIRC the 700 was used with HO v8 and diesels & LT trucks and why I say that.

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:42pm
I have the 2.5 with the sbc bellhousing bolt pattern.

Unclejohn if you ever get a chance to look at your books for flywheel/convertor info I'd really appreciate it.If I remember correctly the 200R was a lighter more compact trans.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Your 2.5L 4 cylinder engine is mated to the Chrysler 904 transmission using an adapter. I am not sure whether the torque converter is a lock up converter or not, but if it is, have a 2200  rpm stall converter built for that package and then use a 2.53 rear axle. This would give you a simulated 4 speed au tomatic and the 2200 rpm lock up would pull well from a dead stop but when in  high with the torque converter locked  up it would act as if it is geared for about  1000rpm/32 mph giving a nice cruising speed.  I have my 80 Spirit set that way but it also has 258 cu in engine.
The 2.5L engine has a Chevy bell  housing Bolt pattern so it would bolt up to the thing. The question would be is there a flex plate and torque converter that would work.
There is a GM aftermarket parts book that I have that I think might call  those things out.   But maybe going to a GM parts location,  something that at least talks performance and asking if there is flex plate, torque converter package that would let  you bolt up a 151 c u in Pontiac 4  cylinder engine to the 200R automatic.
Cause that is what that engine is and  it was in a lot of cars and was an option on the Pontiac Firebird and that would have been the 200r4 speed automatic transmission.

It should be the SBC pattern 904 (CJ guys want those) Late '82 could be AMC 2.5 which has the 2.8 60 degree V6 pattern. 200R4 (or whatever you call it) off a 229 '81ish Chevy Malibu is SBC pattern. S10s used the 60 degree 700R4.

There is no adapter on the 2.5 to 904 that I have seen.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

It should be the SBC pattern 904 (CJ guys want those) Late '82 could be AMC 2.5 which has the 2.8 60 degree V6 pattern. 200R4 (or whatever you call it) off a 229 '81ish Chevy Malibu is SBC pattern. S10s used the 60 degree 700R4.

There is no adapter on the 2.5 to 904 that I have seen.
That is correct. The bell housing is designed to bolt up to that engine.   The flex plate is unique too. My flex plate was bent and I had a difficult time finding a new one. I believe it fastens to the torque convertor with only three bolts. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2014 at 10:12pm
Actually, it's the converter that is unique. The 4 and V8 take the same flexplate unless it uses a Ford style starter.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2014 at 8:44am

This is the only time you'll ever see me suggest a Chevy swap....

but were there any fuel injected 2.5L iron duke 4spd auto combos from the factory (GM applications obviously)

Seems like you could use the extra power a fuelie  2.5L would supply to pull that overdrive gear.

But I guess at that point you might as well consider an MPI  AMC/Jeep 2.5L or 4.0L swap, with either a 2wd 5spd, or AW4,

if your willing to swap & wire up a more modern powerplant.

lol

good luck Smile

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic