TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The quest for roller lifters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 2:12am
The lobe profiles are very different between flat tappet and roller cams. The flat tappet lobe is ground on a very slight angle to cause the lifters to rotate in their bore, this will cause unusual wear if you try to run a roller lifter, which is supposed to run on a level cam lobe. The other issue is the roller effectively runs on a point compared to a flat tappet lifter where the lobe sweeps across the surface of the lifter. The means that a roller cam has a much bigger lobe for the same duration as a flat tappet cam, so consequently if you run roller lifters on a flat tappet cam you will be greatly reducing your valve duration events.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 11:25am
Good thread, BUT does any one have experiance with solid roller lifters in stock AMC lifter bores?
Gremlin Dreams
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 12:37pm
I run crane lifters .903 in stock bore with a .454 lobe, had to reduce the base circle to 1 inch to make it work, rockers are 1.75. oil pressure is about 10 psi less than my flat tappet with .904 lifters
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 2:01pm
From what I remember about solid lifters I ran years ago there isn't that much of a difference between hydraulic and solid lifters just a few internal parts. Maybe the Company that makes the Mopar big block rollers will be able to offer them in solid rollers?

Tony
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 6:30pm
Worst case I can purchase Hydraulic lifters and gut them and
make internal plugs, block em up.
Gremlin Dreams
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

I run crane lifters .903 in stock bore with a .454 lobe, had to reduce the base circle to 1 inch to make it work, rockers are 1.75. oil pressure is about 10 psi less than my flat tappet with .904 lifters

.454 x 1.75 = WOW, is that really necessary?? I'll bet you have 700# springs too!! Wink

SKeown
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 7:58pm

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Good thread, BUT does any one have experiance with solid roller lifters in stock AMC lifter bores?

Yes, I have experience. Get yourself some Johnson brand. Better yet, equalize all bores and have them made to fit.

SKeown
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 8:06pm
I dial bore gauged all my bores and I remember (it is written down at the shop)
they were .9045, all of them within .0001 Not bad for a old worn block!
It may have been .9047... But they were the same, and I am impressed by
the machining AMC did on their engines. 
Gremlin Dreams
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 8:57pm

You may not be that impressed by the angle variation though. Mine were off over a degree from end to end. That's another benefit of bushing if seeking perfection. Personally I wouldn't do it again, I would do what I suggested for you.

SKeown
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2015 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

.454 x 1.75 = WOW, is that really necessary?? I'll bet you have 700# springs too!! Wink

SKeown

Now come on Steve, it's only a little street cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic