TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschlabach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering conversion
    Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 3:15pm
I have a 1967AMC American 220 2 Door Sedan. It has the L6-199ci 3.3L 1 BBL engine with a 3 speed manual transmission (3 on the tree). It has manual steering that I want to convert to power. It seems as if it’s doable if I can come up with all of the components needed, can anyone tell me if it can be done? Thanks, Bill
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 5:16pm
Sure it can be done and the factory offered it. You need the steering box with pitman arm and mounting plate, pump and brackets and hoses. I think it is the same as the 232 which had the hoses running under the front of the engine with a small protective plate under them. I would have to check but you might need another pulley to bolt to the vibration dampener. Forum members frequently swap for V8 engines, freeing up 6 cylinder parts. I have all the parts around here, but they should be available closer to CA.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
bschlabach View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschlabach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 10:04pm
Great, it sounds like you definitely know your stuff. I would hate running around to a bunch of junk yards to gather what is needed and would certainly be interested in one stop shopping if you have everything needed? 
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 3:23pm
Yea, you need to get everything. especially the iron/steel adaper plate that goes between the box and unibody frame, the rag joint assembly and pitman arm. There are a few odd bits and pieces, like the hose retainer that goes under the oilpan behind the damper and the Loooooong hoses.

I'd recommend getting a 73 Hornet (cause I use one) steering box. Get a rebuild and turn in your 60's box as a core. The original box is an easy steer one finger box, like 4 turns lock to lock. The 73 box has a higher effort valving a little quicker turning and better road feel. 

You can also drop pump pressure to give a little less assist. This is all stuff you can approach later.

I've done one swap and sold 3 conversions. I have a few odd bits left if you can't find it all, but no way do I have a complete setup.

Edited by Wrambler - Nov/02/2014 at 3:34pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschlabach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 11:48am
Thanks 6768Rogues & Wrambler for your help. If anyone out there is interested in putting all the pieces together and selling them to me I am interested.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 3:35pm
Some Six bangers had the pump on the other side so make sure you get all the parts and hoses for a complete setup. Later stuff also went with metric hoses.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by prostreetamx prostreetamx wrote:

Some Six bangers had the pump on the other side so make sure you get all the parts and hoses for a complete setup. Later stuff also went with metric hoses.

The pump stayed on the passenger side until at least 73. If I could get into my shed in the daytime I would try to see if I have anything to help out with. I don't know exactly what bits and pieces I have.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschlabach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 5:45pm

https://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20140924/29862884_1X.JPG
Not to worry, I have plenty of other projects to work on with this beauty! If you get a chance please see what you have available as I will want to get it done at some point. Thanks.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 6:26pm
You can also use a power steering box from a Jeep. I am using one from a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee in my 66 American. To use with the original pump you would have to adapt to the metric Jeep fittings or have hoses made, which is not a big deal. The Jeep box has good road feel and is fairly quick, one drive with it and you will not want to go back to an original. A Rambler pitman arm fits the Jeep box and I bought a new one for my project.
I am using the 4.0 engine, so I can use factory hoses. I am not ready to let the original parts go until I am a little further along with the project. The parts are heavy and you can save by finding them closer to home, as I am in NY.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
2drwgn View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2drwgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2014 at 6:49pm
I think I can gather up the ps pump and brackets. I'll look tomorrow. 
1966 American convert
4.0 FI AW4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic