TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R154 adapted to AMC kit feeler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 9:48pm
Thats a pretty good reason I would say.

Enjoy
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2014 at 6:44pm
I'm back.
While I was gone I ordered some snap ring pliers because I had been using some totally crappy ones for way too long. Snap on SRP5A
I also ordered an old set of USA made Craftsman Snap On SRP3 knock offs.

I probably should have just got this set, as the big ones (I only bought the other two types) would be best for the main shaft bearings which are large prob 3.5" around

It's been storming hard in California (by our wimpy standards) but I really hope to get the trans in this weekend when the rain is supposed to let up.

Edited by 71hornet6 - Dec/29/2014 at 3:13pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
'72 258 '95 4.0L Head Holley 390CFM
AX15 with R154 gears 5 speed Hurst shifter
AMC20 rear axle Detroit TrueTrac
Dual Exhaust
Concord Discs Spirit AMX sway bars
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2014 at 3:37pm
We have a winner!
Finally got the extension pilot in there. After tweaking and back and forth with forum member / machinist Ant, we got it perfect. It goes in with 3-4 hits of a hammer via socket so it's a pretty tight fit without being unreasonably difficult to install and the pilot tip makes as much contact with the bearing surface as possible. Very excited!
Below you can see the tip is way in there. In fact, the cone behind the tip may be touching the inner edge of the outer metal ring. Fortunately, it can be set back a hair without removing anything.

I now have everything I need to install the R154 with AX15 tail back into my Hornet!
Being paranoid, I think I'm going to double check my first build before putting her in there.
Getting close!!

Edited by 71hornet6 - Dec/28/2014 at 3:44pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2014 at 8:56pm
On future bushings I can increase the chamfer size for a bit more clearance in necessary, or make slightly shorter.
You got me pondering using a r154, found one local for $900 but just not cheap enough to jump on it.
Great r&d! I hope others find it useful. If we need something else modified for the swap let me know.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

On future bushings I can increase the chamfer size for a bit more clearance in necessary, or make slightly shorter.
You got me pondering using a r154, found one local for $900 but just not cheap enough to jump on it.
Great r&d! I hope others find it useful. If we need something else modified for the swap let me know.

Yeah $900 is a little high. If you can get both transmissions and bellhousing and all the stock stuff you need for $1000, then the rebuild kit and heavy duty parts have you at around $1500. Getting the parts together is the most tedious part. After that, a competent builder should be able to make one for you and you're under the $2000 mark. Well built it should be able to take about the same abuse as a T56, though reports vary... Marlin rep said one of their built R154s was behind an engine with close to 1000 HP with no problems yet. The T-56 is more awesome for sure being a stout new six speed but it costs substantially more and doesn't include the bellhousing. What excites me about this project is that if you are willing to be scrappy and watch the yards and craigslist for a while, you can get a really badass 5-speed for a relatively low price. The biggest savings to be had are in the cores.

Also I've been getting good money on eBay for the leftover R154 parts! If you get a good deal on the R154, the leftover parts from the build could pay for the parts of the transmission you used (the gear set minus 5th)!

Edited by 71hornet6 - Dec/29/2014 at 3:12pm
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2015 at 11:20pm
Any news on the build? 
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2015 at 12:07am
Its been a while. Any news?
RAZER View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2015 at 1:16pm
Are there any updates to report??
71hornet6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71hornet6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2015 at 4:10pm
Hey all...
I've been away because I needed to finish remodeling my house and sell it and buy another one and move all my crap and redo all the supply plumbing with copper and the 3000 s.f. roof etc...
The Hornet has been sitting without a transmission in my parents driveway for a while now and they're not too happy about it!
I'm hoping to get the transmission back into the car between now and January sometime but I have to finish this lady's bathroom addition job that's going to be a few more weeks.

Last thing I said was:
"Being paranoid, I think I'm going to double check my first build before putting her in there."
It's a good thing too because there was something very wrong. I forget what it was but the thing wouldn't have shifted. Since then I've taken apart and put back together (MANY times) an AX15 4WD that I rebuilt to sell so I got really fast at teardown and assembly.

Where I'm at is I have a bunch of crap in the garage that hasn't been set up yet including my R154/AX15 which is torn down to gearset and intermediary plate in a vice covered in a black plastic trash bag while the Hornet is a 5 min drive away. I am eager to finish the project but I just have so much going on. I'd bet you guys would like to see it on the road as well!

Has anybody been inspired to try and track down an R154 and AX15 to do this project? I have a few more pilot bearings here...
'71 FrankenHornet:
Dual Exhaust
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2015 at 9:45am
I have been following this thread, but have not wanted to take the plunge without knowing how your came out and what it cost you...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic