TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

REVERSING PCV FLOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REVERSING PCV FLOW
    Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:28pm
I'm having difficulty keeping oil from pulling through the PCV with my Eddy Air-gap,,, even with scouring pad in the cavity. 
Today I hooked up a vac gauge to the pvc port on the carb and observed 20in vac at 3200 RPM free rev which is my 70 MPH cruise RPM.
Been studying catch cans E-vacs etc trying to solve the issue and had a brainstorm,,,,,why not reverse the pcv flow. 
I can put a filter into the back of the manifold and draw from the fill pipe,,,, guy could even put some scouring pad into the fill pipe and simply remove when servicing.   Thoughts ??????

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

1969 S/C Rogueler
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 3:40pm
I have been running an Edelbrock air gap intake on my 70 390 as the 1st if not one of the 1st ones available in "Arizona. and have not had a moments problem with it. It was installed with the full valley pan intake gasket and uses pretty much OEM configuration. 
Are you sure you do not have something like excessive blow by?  Or did you not use a Valley Pan? 
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 4:22pm
One of the guys in our club did it by just putting a small K&N filter at the back of the manifold, and using a 60-something Chevy oil cap with a built in PCV. I could get more specifics if you're interested.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

One of the guys in our club did it by just putting a small K&N filter at the back of the manifold, and using a 60-something Chevy oil cap with a built in PCV. I could get more specifics if you're interested.

Bob
tufcj

I'm interested. Please do. Thanks.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 4:56pm
Hey Bob, did it solve the issue ?

Mike

1969 S/C Rogueler
greaser View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 5:26pm
I had the same problem with my perofrmer intake. Reversed the pvc flow just like you said and been fine ever since. This was about 10 years ago. One day when I have to pull the intake I will put the baffle on.
I use the oil fill cap that has the hose nipple on it. This goes to an inline pcv valve and the carb fitting.
The old pcv hole in the intake goes to the breather on the air cleaner.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by mcjarv mcjarv wrote:

Hey Bob, did it solve the issue ?

He did it while rebuilding the motor. I don't think it had an issue before the rebuild, but it's something his engine builder suggested and he went with. This was the 390 engine that came out of my Rogue, and later went into a Gremlin. I'll get as much detail as I can.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 4:14pm
OK, here's what I ended up with, the built in pcv valve is a little stiffer than stock as measured via lip lock so I had to adjust the carb a little but otherwise pretty simple project,,,,,,jury's still out on whether or not it solves the problem.   BTW the pcv valve is built into the oil fill cap I found at my local speed shop, Earls also has one part #3434114.

Mike

1969 S/C Rogueler
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 2:49am
Bob is right...

The manifold pictured below is the one I purchased before the engine overhaul that went into the Gremlin. The rear aluminum piece was custom machined as well as the inlet on the "Performer" intake to accept an "O" ring to seal things up. The filter can be found easily. An early "Big Block Chevy" oil filler cap with internal PVC works just fine on the front...Wink.

The motor is a 1968 390 with a set of 1970 291C heads with stainless steel valves & roller rockers & oil line mod

I drove this car with my wife alongside from Denver to Kenosha & back in July. A total of 2300 miles without issue.

mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 8:24am
Its working great so far, no more high rpm problems, cleaner plugs etc,,,,I believe the more souped up your AMC V8 is, the more important this mod is provided of course you want to run PCV.

I have yet to find a "big block chevy" oil fill cap with pcv valve built in,,,,could you provide more details ?

Thanks, Mike

Edited by mcjarv - Oct/24/2014 at 2:12pm

1969 S/C Rogueler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic