TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic ClosedThis AMC V8 forum is for AMC-designed and....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by hoosieramc hoosieramc wrote:

I agree 100%!

Ab-Sa-Toot-Lee Agree
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Orchuck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:12pm
I am guilty of teasing about the leaf blower as a sbc turbo, However I also helped a member with trans-dap mounts and cross members for an engine swap. There is a difference (I think) about the two posts. the question was engine specific about an off brand turbo application. Not about stuffing an engine in an AMC. I would support a section about off brand stuff if separate from the AMC areas much like the E-b*y section. Can you see a 572 Caddie in a Gremlin. that would be fun to hold on to.
1969 Javelin SST, BBO, 390, Air, Auto PS/PB, Tilt, GoPac
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:33pm

I think this is a great idea. There are plenty of hot rodding boards out there that would be a much better resource for this kind of thing.

Just my personal opinion, but I'm not visiting the AMC V8 engine forum to read about how to get rid of my AMC engine, I want to read about how I can get the best out of it.

‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 6:55pm
[Quote=billd]If you ask AMC folks about other makes you will get a lot different answers than you would from the CHEVY folks who know their engines inside and out. You would, IMO, get second-best answers unless the AMC person is a closet Ford or Chevy fan disguised as an AMC fan to infiltrate... never mind....
It's only logical, eh?
If you want a correct answer about other brands - best to ask those experts, few of them could give good solid info on AMC stuff [Quote]

Some of us now AMC guys used to be Chevy, Dodge, or even Ford guys. Some of us have built, raced, and have tranplanted many Mfg. engines into different Mfg. chassis before we got (or returned) to AMC/Rambler land. So the experience those people can bring to the table is extreemly helpfull to those that want to have an old rambler with an up to date powertrain. (Heck, I put an AMC 290 V8 in a Jeep before Jeep ever used AMC engines). I know it flusters some members here to see non AMC engines going in to AMC chassis, but that is reality and it sometimes make sense so why not help if we can.

[QUOTE=Boris Badanov]Adding a Franken Nash chat room for those that feel compelled
to re-power their old Nash Can might be a good thing.
Look at the bright side. A Chebby or Toyota powered Rambler
keeps Another AMC out of the bone yard and on the road.

I agree 100% with that idea.
I like the idea of the "Franken Nash" chat room where creative people can go to ask questions pertaining to brand X engine transplants into their Rambler without getting a load of crap from people who don't like the idea of that. As mentioned above, keeping a Rambler or AMC out of the bone yard should be a main focus of this forum. If a kid wants to build a street rod and he wants to use a HEMI or SBC in his Grandpas old Rambler that was left to him, more power to him! Why not help him, I don't see what the big deal is! At least he's not turning that Rambler into a demo derby car or towing it to the crusher to get $25.00 scrap money.

That's my 2 cents!
Dennis       

Edited by THE MENACE - Oct/16/2014 at 6:58pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:00pm
Ive had other brand cars.   But on this forum, Im here for AMC
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:38pm
I can't believe that you guys are clamping down now. I was getting ready to ask if anyone knew what all I needed to put a 3 cylinder 1.0 Liter Ford Ecoboost in my SC/360. If that would be a problem, what about the old aluminum Vega engine?
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 7:53pm
  I think the idea of section dedicated to anything other than pure AMC is a good idea, some members might want info on another type of part or drivetrain swap so those who know and want to help could do so without all the NEGATIVITY. No mater what drivetrain or parts makes up a vehicle it is still registered as the body make. I am a pureist and wouldn't dream of anything but AMC power under the hood of my AMC or brand X power under the hood of my brand X vehicles but the greater part of me is open minded so live and let live. What has this site to lose by adding an everything else section? Maybe the forum name should be changed to "The100%onlyAMCForumallothersbuzzoff.com"

Tony
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:22pm
It's called the AMC forum and the V8 section is for AMC V8 engines. If you have to mod the title to "The 100% AMC Forum and nothing else" in order to spell it out to the special people, then you're dealing with the same people who require warnings on plastic bags advising them not to put them on their head and breathe in deeply.

It's not negativity to suggest to someone that they could probably get much better information about Brand X engines on one of the many, many Brand X forums. You wanna talk about Mice, Rats & Elephants (oh my!) and you have other interests than just AMC, then there's nothing stopping you from belonging to more than one forum. It's not fair to those who come here for AMC engine tech to have to sift through all this other stuff.

There's a fine line between saving an old Nash or Rambler from the scrap heap and posting tech on here about Brand X engine swaps and giving the impression that it's approved or actually being recommended. After all, if there're instructions on how to stuff a SBC into a Rambler on an AMC website then it must be okay, 'cuz even the AMC guys see no problem with it, right? It's a slippery slope. How about those tech articles written by knowledgeable members here being on a hot rod forum and then direct people with questions about Brand X engine swaps to those forums? Or is that being too negative? How about someone here writing a tech article about how to stuff a 360 into a Rambler?
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:30pm
I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I don't see that many questions regarding brand x in brand y. I am guilty of a ford tranny and a Japanese compressor in mine. I wouldn't put a ls in my car but it sure would make it run better.   I think your OCD is coming out in this.
Cholo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:34pm
"Franken Nash" section Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Cholo! For the 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic