TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAM OIL FILTER STORY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 5:26pm
I'd use the Fram PH11 over a Wix because if the 51258 has an ADV I don't believe it works. I think they recently changed their site to show it has one. 

I've got a Delco PF24 on now that replaced the Wix. The dealer had to ship it down from Edmonton. Guess what, huge improvement and virtually no rattle on start up. 

Other than Fram or Wix I've since found local sources for Purolator L3005 and K&N HP-2003. Both I believe have ADV's and are listed for our vehicles. Walmart in the US for the Purolator? Baldwin B9?
But I'll still buy the Wix drop in cartridge for my wife's Volvo. 
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 6:31pm
I believe the NAPA filter #1258 does have the ADV, below are pictures of the Fram PH-11 and NAPA 1258. If you look behind the circle of small holes there is a rubber seal IIRC that is the ADV, earlier filters did not have that seal behind the mounting plate, if I am wrong someone who knows please chime in.

Tony

nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 8:04pm
Did they send you some filters, as stated below?

Originally posted by motorking motorking wrote:

I will send you some HP series or Ultra filters for taking the time to send it in. Will report the results in this forum

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 9:41pm
They did offer to send some, but not sure I want to use them.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by fasttony fasttony wrote:

I believe the NAPA filter #1258 does have the ADV, below are pictures of the Fram PH-11 and NAPA 1258. If you look behind the circle of small holes there is a rubber seal IIRC that is the ADV, earlier filters did not have that seal behind the mounting plate, if I am wrong someone who knows please chime in.

Tony

Tony, you are correct regarding the Napa, below is a photo of the Napa 1258 that I used on my wife's Javelin, it has the ever discussed/debated ADV:
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 12:42pm
So which way does the oil flow through these things? In through the outside holes and drain through the middle? Maybe the main purpose of that rubber thing is to deflect the oil around the end of the element and some seal and some don't when the engine stops? I can see the main purpose of the ADV is to prevent the oil from draining back through the pump and perhaps doesn't keep the filter full. It's just surmising on my part because I haven't looked at an engine for about two years now.  
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

They did offer to send some, but not sure I want to use them.
Take them up on the offer and then give the filters to people you race against. LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 12:39am
Well I went and spent the 10 bucks and bought the Wix 51258. Thought I would seal the center hole in the end, drill a hole in the side and add oil to see if it would hold it. But why bother. Just by looking closely one can see that that rubber thing is not going to hold oil. It doesn't even touch the holes. I might take it back or I might do my experiment just to prove a point. 
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 7:31am
Vinny
 I am sure the designers that created the ADV did their homework, it could have been the OEM engine designers. The test for the drain back is most likely done with hydraulic test equipment simulating an engine oiling system. I have not looked at all the brands of filters to see if they all have the ADV, if a filter has one thats better than not. I have owned vehicles that had start up dry rap and not one of them ever got worse or spun a bearing, I use good quality synthetic oil and don't worry about it. NAPA #1258 = $7.

Tony
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 8:38am
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9A27085C060C2436

I'll show the above link again. I'll say again that I think they changed their specs to show the 51258 has an ADV because my memory is that fairly recently when I looked they didn't. The longer version 51049 that is/was also listed for our engines the last time I looked has no ADV in its specs. I only change oil and filter once a year and for that year with the Wix rattle I wonder how much premature wear was going on. I don't know about the V-8 but the 232 likes an ADV. Think of all that oil in the galleries and filter that doesn't drain into the pan with a functioning ADV. From my own experience I won't use the Wix. 

From Joe's experience and the You Tube video, the Fram has moved to second to the bottom on my list preference. As it must be the cheapest part of the manufacturing process it makes you wonder why they don't put a little more effort into putting a good filter element inside. I always did like that grit on the outside of the canister that makes it easy to spin them on and off.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic