TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FRAM OIL FILTER STORY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 8:15pm
Well Joe, I hope you don't have a rebuild coming up in the near future. Dirt??? Did they say what kind of dirt was in there? Something like that should come with an analysis of what metal etc was in it.  

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 9:05pm
NO the 360 runs fine and I have been building AMC's since my first AMX in 1975. There is no way I will believe that the oil filter was full of enough dirt to cause a bypass situation. It cost more to send the filter back to them than a new filter. I am no novice and my assembly process is spotless.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 10:20pm
Perhaps this will show the value of using a filter with more square inches of filter media, so it doesn't 'fill up' so quickly.
Faster is Better
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 12:35am
Personally I think it was factory fill. Matches what I had to deal with almost exactly. Be lucky it didn't kill the motor.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 2:20am
I guess as this is a Fram Filter thread I probably should relate my experiance with them too.  I have been using Fram Filters almost exclusivley since some where around 1958 on every car I have ever owned and there have been so many frankly I have lost count of them with a fairly wide variety of internationally sourced automobiles.  I currently own 7 cars one of which is waiting restoration the other 6 five are running, and the 6th is under construction but running and the others are liscenced and driveable.  Yearly mileage averages about 30,000 miles a year between all of them combined and I recently changed the break in oil on the one under construction and amaziingly enough I have never had a moments problem with a Fram Filter and I can generally find a Fram brand filter that fits what ever engine I want it for with out hardly any problem what so ever.
Yes I have used others at times, for no particular reason other than they happened to be avaialble and have yet to notice no measurable differences between them and a Fram. I have a spin on Fram transmission filter on my Saturn and have recently installed a Fram Spin on fuel filter on my Fuel Injected Spirit. They have worked satisfactory too.

Edited by uncljohn - Dec/19/2014 at 2:23am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 7:08am
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9A27085C060C2436

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 9:32am
How can a PH11 go into bypass? It doesn't have an internal bypass ... or are they saying the filter was plugged and going by stock bypass?

Considering the poor reputation of Fram filters, would hope they would provide a detailed analysis including pictures to try to regain their reputation. Pretty poor to say plugged with "dirt" and not explain what the "dirt" was?
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 11:47am
I WILL ATTACH THE LETTER FROM TEM WHEN I GET HOME.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 3:41pm
Been using the fram filter on my 343 since 1987 never had a problem with oil pressure or a leaking oil filter whatsoever. Also I find it kind of funny that when people cut them open they are surprised to see cardboard, well pretty much all production car OE oil filters are the same construction. Sure there are other filters available that replace that cardboard with metal but it's really overkill.

fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 4:22pm
I have used mostly Fram oil filters for many years without know issues, I have never had oil filtration or pressure issues with any of my vehicles so no reason to look that close at the filter. I have stocked up on Fram filters for my AMC PH-11 about 50 plus of them currently, just wanted to be sure I don't have to go looking for a filter when my AMC needs one. The only difference between filters that I have ever know of is the type of spring used to keep the filter element forward, Fram and most others use a sheet metal spring and Wix/NAPA uses a wire coil spring, supposedly the sheet metal spring if ever pushed back does not return fully in place leaving the element back and no or little filtration? For the most part passenger vehicle oil systems only filter a percentage of the oil while the rest circulates thru the system without filtration, so not a big deal if the filter does not filter as much as normal. If there is enough contamination in the oil system to cause issues the filter isn't going to save the engine so don't blame the filter. That said I would not state oil filters can't contribute to oil pressure issues depending on the oil system design, to be on the safe side I have started strocking up on NAPA/Wix filters currently have about 10 of #1258 on hand, when I do use my Fram AMC application filters I will just keep an eye on them.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic