TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 6:15pm
Of course I pull out my worn out leaf springs and they have more arch unloaded than the replacements I'm about to install. Hopefully these have more spring rate? Probably not. Oh well, we'll see. I'm cutting and punching out the outer bearing shells right now to install poly bushings and these have got to be the toughest shells to remove that I've ever done! These things are practically bonded to the leaf eyes. It's taken me entirely too long. I also don't have a sawzall for some reason (seems like I have everything but) so cutting them by hand with a hack saw and punching them out with an air hammer has been an adventure. All of the ones I've done before have come out with some persuasion with an air chisel without cutting them first.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 11:05pm
Well, the AMX springs sit an inch or so higher. I can't tell yet if they're any stiffer or the ride is otherwise different. They've been out of a car for years, so they may settle some still.

I'm really not happy with my driveline angles though. Transmission is 2* down toward rear, pinion is 1* up toward front, and driveshaft is 3* down toward rear. That's a front and rear u-joint working angles of 1* and 1* difference in transmission and pinion. It's just too tight for my liking.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 12:36am
I added a vacuum advance canister to the MSD distributor and made a vacuum advance stop plate for it. Also tweaked carburetor tuning. Details are in a separate thread here:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic88558.html

Additionally, my crappy Kobalt auto darkening welding helmet recent crapped out on me. The auto darkening filter just quit flashing me pretty nicely to my surprise one day. I thought maybe it had just been in the dark in the garage too long so I pulled out the ADF and put it in direct sunlight for 2 days, but that didn't do it. This cheap ADF doesn't have replaceable batteries and it's crappy anyway, so I'm junking it. I can get a Chinese replacement filter for under $20 on fleabay but there's no way it'll be any better clarity. I have a big window Huntsman hood with a shade 10 passive filter in it but it needs a replacement filter, and I do a lot of tacks and thin material anyway so an ADF is handy. I came across an ADF made by Jackson that should drop right into my Huntsman helmet for $99.00 that I've respectfully requested for my birthday from the wife. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna clean up the old Huntsman and drop in this new filter and I should be back in business. This one has 4 sensors, a separate grind mode, and it has a digital control panel with backlit display. It gets good reviews and is a really good price.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 2:13pm
It looks like the entire Jackson helmet with that filter is only $30 or so more and it has really nice headgear. I might as well just get the entire thing and save the Huntsman as a single shade backup.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 10:24pm
Having a good helmet is a must.  I bought the better Kobalt helmet a few years ago and have had good success with it.  Auto darkening is the best for doing body panels.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 3:16am
So, the AMX springs I put in are pretty worn too. They're pretty flat with a slight negative arch at the rear just like the original springs. I pulled out the 1967-1970 parts book and looked up the leaf spring codes for the 2 sets I have. Mine are standard duty and the AMX springs are heavy duty. The spring rates of AMX springs are higher across the board it seems anyway. So, I cut spring eyes off the the main leaves of the Javelin pack and added them with another long rubber pad to the AMX springs. I added shims to bring the pinion down some. I also clamped every leaf down the front half of the leaf springs. The car sits a good bit higher in the back, but I love the classic muscle car rake anyway.

So, I went for a midnight test drive and man can I tell a difference. It is definitely a stiffer ride and not nearly as plush and soft as before. It's responsive though and with the stiffer springs and anti-sway bars in the rear, it corners pretty flat even with the rear end higher up. Most of all, the car really hooks up hard compared to before. From a stop, it launches harder, and from a roll, it hooks and goes immediately. WOT 1-2 shifts are firmer even. So far, for a shade tree hack job, this spring pack is great.

Here's the stuff I started with. I managed to reuse spring clamps with careful removal and reinstallation. I also swapped collector gaskets and thought my car was on fire when they smoked for a while getting broken in.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:24pm
Great solution! Another alternative would have been to have a spring shop re-arch one of the sets. That can be tricky -- might get more arch than you want, might not last long. I've used bolt-on "helper" or "overload" leaf to stiffen and/or raise a leaf spring car also. Basically the same as adding a leaf.
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:27pm
Thanks! It's just what I had to work with and it turned out good.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:47pm
Sweet!  Going to remember this should it happen to my Javelin.  Have a spare set from the parts car...
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2017 at 6:32pm
I'm debating what to do when the worn out TracLoc carrier I put in the Javelin decides it's had enough. Those cross shaft holes were so out of round, it's a wonder it's not making any serious noise going down the street.

There's a guy nearby selling a new in the box Detroit locker who'll take $350 for it. I'd have to scrape up the $$$, but it seems like a good deal. Whadaya think?

Another option is a guy on EBay selling an open carrier with an unknown lunchbox locker. He's asking $199, but I messaged him and he'll take a best offer of $150. Not my preferred route not knowing what's in it. Those ratcheting lockers all look the same.

Another guy nearby said he had a Jeep CJ "posi differential" and he'd take $50 for it. After a few questions, he said it was a 2-piece carrier which got me excited. But then he sent me pictures and it's a one piece TracLoc style. If it's not worn where the side gears sit against the case, the gears are not broken or chipped, and the shaft holes are tight and true, it could still be an ok deal for $50 and usually around or just under $100 for a clutch rebuild kit.

Did someone say Strange 9"? No, didn't think so...$$$
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 53>
  Share Topic