TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 9:19pm
Several of us have used the front disc conversion offered by Scarbird. It's only a caliper bracket that bolts to the knuckle in place of the drum's backing plate, but, it gives you an list of everything you need to convert to disc. It uses Toyota Privia rotors, GM calipers, pads and hoses. You will have to get the O.D. of the stock hubs turned down to fit inside the rotors, and you will need to drill out the wheel stud holes in the rotors so they will go over the studs. Or, you can get the hubs that Scarbird sells that fit the Privia rotors. Those hubs cost about $175 (IIRC), so it may be cheaper to have the factory hubs turned down.

^^^All of that is from memory^^^ I may have left something out.

I have the Scarbird brackets, and have the new calipers and rotors. Just not to the point of re-assembling the front end yet, so I cannot offer you anymore advice then I have.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:29pm
I got a new set of Cooper Cobra G/Ts, RPM Air-Gap manifold, Aeromotive Phantom 340 fuel pump kit, Russell Twist-Lok hose, and a bunch of fittings in the mail today!

So the balancer and crank pulley from the 360 I'm building is a 3 bolt and the same height pulley as well. So, I should be able to move the rest of the brackets and accessories over from the 290 to keep the A/C factory A/C. As for the rest of the A/C components, that'll have to come later down the road. At least I'll have the compressor in place.

I dropped the gas tank this evening, which was FULL. I know for a fact no one has put gas in it since it was parked in 1991 or so. Man, that gas looks BAD! It's solid brown and the smell will knock you out. I pulled the sending unit and ran a finger around inside and it was just covered in crumbly varnish residue. The float was no where to be found. Looks to have just dissentagrated over time.

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:44pm
Don't you just love when Christmas comes early?? Lol. Could be worse, that could have been ethanol gas! Give me good ole fashioned gasoline any day. And, yes, the float will be eaten by that old, rotten turpentine.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:51pm
So is it worth having the tank cleaned by a radiator shop or somewhere that'll do it? Or should I find a new tank and have it shipped to Hawaii. I have no idea. I'm considering filling this tank with water and cutting an access panel out of the top of the tank so I can get in there to scrape it out. I should probably wait until it dries out some first. I'm just itching to install this Phantom pump and start routing hoses ASAP. I'm feeling the time crunch, needing to have this car in a good running driving state by Christmas.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:54pm
Heck, I could even cut the tank in half using the middle seam as a guide for the plasma torch. I've done it before, but it really sucks stitch welding a whole tank back together. That's always been a last resort job. But it's been my last resort before...
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 12:32am
Take the tank to a radiator shop and get it boiled out. Then buy a tank re-new kit from Eastwood and you'll be fine. Did it years ago and no problems since.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 1:06am
Thanks, Donohue. I'll probably do just that. There are repros to be had, but for $350 plus shipping to Hawaii, no thanks.

Gotta love opening the front door to a new set of tires.

Here's the intake sitting on the engine with the carb I'll be using to break in the cam before installing the Quick Fuel Injection system. It's a Holley Street Avenger 770, so it's a bit much, but it's already tuned to run pretty well on a 360, so I'm sure it'll be fine to break in the cam for 30 minutes or so.

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 3:48pm
The price on a new tank is crazy expensive. Especially when you have to save the filler neck from the old tank and braze it on to the new one. The tank from my car was trash. Too much rot and too many holes. Got lucky that my parts car had a very nice tank. Just have a rad shop stem it clean and reseal it.

Engine looks good. So you decided to go EFI?   

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 4:08pm
Yeah, I'm doing the Quick Fuel QFI. I looked at MSD Atomic, FAST EZ-EFI 2.0, Edelbrock E-Street, Holley Avenger/HP, Professional Products Powerjection III, Howell's GM TBI, Megasquirt, etc. The QFI has most of the features I want. It has a handheld setup/tuner for getting a good base map to start with. It's a closed loop learning system. It will control timing. It uses OEM sensors, and Quick Fuel provides all of the part numbers for replacement parts should you need to run in to a parts house on a road trip. So much better than proprietary stuff. And you can hook up a laptop and do a lot more tuning through their dashboard software. It will also run E85, not really a requirement for me, but an option down the road. Reviews say that due to the carb like idle circuit and fuel/air routing, it seems to have snappier throttle response. I look forward to tuning and working out the kinks.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 7:24pm
Should work well. I'm still kicking around carb or EFI for mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 53>
  Share Topic