TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2015 at 12:14am
I put another coat of Red Kote in the fuel tank tonight. I dumped 2 quarts in the first time and ended up with 1 3/4 quarts left over after I drained it. This time it's been draining for a while and not quite 1 quart has drained out. Looks like I have a thicker coat this time. Hopefully I don't end up with any puddles anywhere and it cures all of the way through. The first time I had a number of spots around the seam where I welded the tank back together that seeped coating. This time only one spot seeped very slightly. Looks like it'll be sealed up hopefully.

The only thing I need to figure out is how I'm going to seal the 1/2" hole I drilled in a corner of the tank to drain the sealer. Anyone have luck with any of the patch kits available at the parts stores. I was thinking some kind of stainless mesh and epoxy over it. I've used window screen and JB weld in a pinch in the past. I'd like to do a little better on this. I can't heat the tank with the sealer in it.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally get to hang the tank and plumb fuel lines. I stretched my -06 hose under the car yesterday and it looks like I'll be maybe a foot short. I may end up having to use regular 3/8 hose from the parts store for the return line. Not that big of a deal since it won't be under much pressure at all.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 8:13pm
So now I'm seriously considering getting a TH200-4R from an '87 Monte Carlo SS. The guy is asking $400, but I'm pretty sure he'll come down a good bit. My wife has effectively shut down my Javelin budget, but I'm hoping to sell some Jeep parts this evening to finance it. And I'm buying her a minivan on Friday, so that slows down the budget as well.

Anyone have serious reservations about this? With the stock 2.87? gears, I may be running pretty low RPMs on the highway, but this opens the door to regearing in the future for more power off the line.

Maybe I should just stick with the TH350 already in the dang car right now. Who knows...
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 8:45pm
Josh, The title to this topic is...."On Budget", so you already know what you need to do.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 10:36pm
Darn you with your reason and good sense...
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2015 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

So now I'm seriously considering getting a TH200-4R from an '87 Monte Carlo SS. The guy is asking $400, but I'm pretty sure he'll come down a good bit. My wife has effectively shut down my Javelin budget, but I'm hoping to sell some Jeep parts this evening to finance it. And I'm buying her a minivan on Friday, so that slows down the budget as well.

Anyone have serious reservations about this? With the stock 2.87? gears, I may be running pretty low RPMs on the highway, but this opens the door to regearing in the future for more power off the line.

Maybe I should just stick with the TH350 already in the dang car right now. Who knows...

This is why I'm glad to be single. No "financial advisor" to put a hold on my wallet, lol.

Personally, I'd go with the 2004R. Can be built to handle a good deal of power, is an overdrive unit, and has a taller first then a 700r4 (makes for a smaller shift to second). That taller first gear will help you to use a lower geared rear, and the overdrive will keep the cruising RPMs down.

I'd regear even with the TH350. It, like the 2004R, has a tall first, so with the 2.87 rear won't launch the best. Crusing RPM won't be the worst (2225 RPM @ 60MPH with 26" tires). If it were me, I'd go with at least 3.31 gears (if you can find them), they are probably the best of both worlds. Launch would be much better, and cruising RPM would be 2567. Not the worst, about what these engines ran at back before 5 speeds and OD autos.

For reference, here are the ratios for both units:

GEAR RATIOS OF THE TH-350
FIRST SECOND THIRD FOURTH
2.52:1 1.52:1 1:1 N/A

The gearing for the 200-4R is:
First - 2.7405404:1
Second - 1.567567:1
Third - 1.00:1
Fourth - 0.673913:1
Reverse - 2.07:1

As you can see, the 2004R has slightly lower first and second gears then the Th350, which is fine, and will work well with lower geared rears (just like the Th350). But, with the .67 overdrive, can turn 1938RPM @ 60MPH w/26" tires using a 3.73 rear. If you went with 4.10s you'd turn 2130RPMs. Just my $.02 worth.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 12:29am
Yep, I've been playing with the formula myself. I've done a lot of off-road vehicles so tire size, gears, power band is something I've done my fair share of planning and executing. And 26" is indeed the diameter of the tires I'm running - 235/60R15. (26.1")
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 1:00pm
After doing a little more research on the TH200-4R, I'm fairly confident buying this one would be a good move. If this car it's coming from is indeed an original '87 Monte Carlo SS, it should be a more beefy version of the transmission. This could be a good foundation for a pretty strong overdrive trans eventually as I upgrade and save up the time and money for a quality rebuild.

I'm still a little concerned about the .67 overdrive with 2.87 rear gears as my RPMs at 60mph with a lockup torque converter will be about 1485. That seems awfully low to me. Then again, I'm used to the TF727 in my J20 running a good 1000 RPMs more than that at 60 with 33" tires and 3.73 gears. It'll just be a good excuse to sell more parts to finance lower gears and maybe a Powertrax locker. I've had great luck with those lockers, btw. The basic Lock-Right locker is pretty good too but a little louder and more aggressive locking and unlocking.

I should be able to get some cash for the two TH350s I have in the shop too. I paid $150 for both and put a shift kit and adjustable modulator in one.

dltowers, I may have to change the title of this thread for sure. I'm not breaking the bank here, but it has definitely evolved a bit beyond just spraying some carb cleaner down the intake, changing the points and cranking up the old 290 that was in it.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 1:04pm
Josh....Here is my quote of the day....

"With Anything Involving AMC, Budgets Were Made To Be BrokenApprove"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 1:13pm
My wife couldn't agree with you more...

She was hesitant about my first J10, but actually found my J20 for me. Then she regretted it as that thing began sucking money in. She opposed my CJ-8 purchase and didn't feel any better as that one got restored. By the time she warmed up to it, I bought this '69 Javelin SST and she made me sell either the J20 or the Scrambler. I sold the Scrambler and she just shook her pretty head as the budget began it's gradual slide to the right with this one.

She's effectively shut off the Javelin budget now (one of us had to), and she's still shaking her head as I'm Craigslisting parts to keep going. I told her I was looking at a different transmission and she said what are those 3 things over there on that workbench? Uh, transmissions...
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 1:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 53>
  Share Topic