TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 3:27pm
I'm so sorry for not having shipped those panels to your! Got so wrapped up with moving and holidays; it hasn't been at the top of my list. Do you still need them? I will look into a shipping location here.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 4:28pm
Well gentlemen, my excitement may have been a little premature. Talking it over a little more with my wife, I may not be quite there yet financially. If only I had more time, I’d do the work myself. After discussing my also pressing need to rebuild or replace the rearend and redo the exhaust, she started seeing dollar signs, and not in a good way. It seems we have a significant difference in opinion on priorities right now. I’m sure at least some of you can understand my situation. If only the Javelin could help raise the kids and cook dinner and was good in bed...

I’ll at least try to get myself into a 9” rearend like I’ve been dreaming of and replace the engine choking 2” exhaust. And I’ll start cutting out rust and welding in replacement panels a little at a time as I can.

Patrick, I may be needing those panels after all. I’ll text/call you about it.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 8:33pm
Just let me know
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 4:19pm
Just suggestions:

Maybe a rear end rebuild will keep you out of the doghouse. Even worse if you don't own a dog....

Cheaper than a 9" is an 8.8 the Ford ranger had a 58" track like the Jav I think. 

2" exhaust - plenty of 12 sec cars running through a 2" I'd put that further down the list....

The rust - now there's where you might want to focus. Strip off that Vinyl top see what you got, worse comes to worse, bondo or USC all metal and spray it with bedliner to buy some time. The car is disintegrating. 
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 12:00am
You’re right, wantajav. Since I don’t think I’m gonna be dropping thousands on the paint and body right now, I do need to get ahead of the rust. Time is the biggest issue. I don’t have much of it. I can squeeze in a few hours here and there at my shop at work, and that’s probably what I need to do. I’m having a new air compressor installed on Tuesday, so I’ll be able to use my air tools. The shop is already plumbed but the big 3 phase compressor went out before I took over the shop. In the next few months, I’ll have a vertical mill, lathe, welders, plasma cutter, oxy/acetylene, and lots more tools on site finally. I’m building an “innovation lab” from the ground up. We’ll also have a wood shop as well as 3D printers and a laser etcher and PCB CNC mill as well. I’ll be running the place, so I have some flexibility to use it after hours.

Edited by Red20 - Jan/15/2018 at 2:09am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 7:14am
Ya know, that bedliner on the top isn't a bad idea at all!! I saw a car done that way not long ago. Something looked a bit unusual about the vinyl top, but only after I looked real close. At first glance it looked like a normal vinyl top. So from 15' you can hardly tell it's not vinyl. I'd leave a driver car like that and not have to worry about rusting under the vinyl... ever! Of course it won't do for a show car...
Frank Swygert
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 5:52pm
One more suggestion:

Call this guy : JJamxjavelin@yahoo.com 570-765-1366 JJ is located in PA and has a fairly large amount of AMXs, Javelins

He has about a dozen Javs and AMX's I think he is in Middleburg PA. To where in MD are you locating ? Middleburg is way up I83 north of Harrisburg PA. About 2 hrs from either Hagerstown or Hunt valley.

Still, if it gets you a rust free hood - better than two hours of grinding, sanding and bondo time.

And a suggestion within a suggestion:

You strip off the top. 
Find out there's several holes that get bigger from pinholes as you wire wheel them....
RATHER THAN......strip out the headliner and entire interior and risk damage or fire caused by welding

-get some 18 gauge steel sheet patch material and panel bond the patches . Panel bond is made by 3M or Lord. Once you panel bond, then skim coat bondo/Rage to make it flush. Could also fix the quarter panel bubbles this way. Then coat with bedliner (roof) or spray bomb then paint.

--I found those "Preval" sprayers at Home Depot etc...to spray a better pattern than bombs. You can get a pint of enamel mixed up pretty cheap if you know what that yellow is ---the only 69 Javelin yellow I knew of was Pompeii Yellow P76A and it is more of a butter yellow or mayfair maize, not what you got -looking at the pix.

For guess look at some paint chips - Daisy Yellow 1973 AMC is more of what you might have on there now...

Looks like your car was red from the factory? Matador red is a fantastic color. I only mention that if you didn't want to put too much money in restoring a yellow repaint...

Good luck and keep us posted....

Edited by wantajav - Jan/15/2018 at 7:54pm
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 7:46pm
Yeah, show the old girl's body some attention! They never tire of that 😉😉. Lol. Seriously though, it really should be done first.

Sounds like you'll have a great so to use
 Should to get the okay for a lift, might I suggest going through Greg Smith Equipment. Awesome service and fantastic prices! I've been super pleased.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 10:02pm
I could get a lift, but then shop’s focus isn’t automotive and I have a tight budget. I wish though.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 10:54pm
9k pound lift is under, or right at, 2k depending on what one you get. That's shipped. Atlas lifts too boot. Although, their Elite lifts are identical and tad cheaper. I'm extremely pleased with mine. Food for thought. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 53>
  Share Topic