TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Rambler Classic 660 Cross Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Rambler Classic 660 Cross Country
    Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 11:53pm
Well, looks like the parking situation at my house is going to get a little more interesting.  I just made final arrangements with Andrew (TheHubble) to buy his 65 Classic wagon. Big smile  He's going to deliver it this Saturday and I've never wanted a week to end so intensely!  

It will need a lot of TLC, which I intend to document here.  I plan to lower it a bit and pretty much drive it like it is now.  I know some don't understand the whole "patina" thing, but I certainly do and this car has perfect patina.  That doesn't mean I'm not going to patch panels and fix things.  Quite the opposite.  But don't expect a fancy paint job and flawless sheet metal here, either.  It's just too cool the way it looks now.

Here's the current list of known issues and things to do:

1. No engine - I plan to drop another 232 in it, so I'll need to source an early 232 (71 and older).
  2. Cracked windshield - I believe any 65-66 Classic/Ambassador and maybe 67 windshield should work.
  3. Rust - It doesn't have too much, but the floor pans and tailgate areas have some issues, as well as the rear quarters and some other small spots here and there.
  4. Brakes - Andrew never got a chance to dig into the brakes.  I'll probably rebuild them to be safe.  We'll see when it gets here.
  5. Doors - It looks like someone forgot to set the parking brake and it rolled backwards into the garage door with both doors open.  At least that's what I imagine happened.
  6. Drive it! - Ok, maybe a bit optimistic, but hey, a guy can dream Smile
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:13am
Here's some pictures that Andrew took for me.  This wagon is so cool!  Cool

Now THIS is a rear profile!  Mmmmm tailgate.  First road trip: http://www.starlitedrivein.com/

She's got some junk in the trunk Wink  when I say junk, I mean lots of both NOS, spare, and new parts!

Some rust in the tailgate area.   

The transmission is out and on torque tube cars the transmission keeps the rear wheels centered.  So when Andrew moved it out into the driveway, the rear axle swung a little bit.  So no issue there, just looks funny in the pictures!

mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 8:11am
That will be a fun project. Wagons are very cool.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 9:39am
Ray, make sure you check the cowl area on the driver's side and in the hidden compartment in the back on the passenger side for rust. Those two areas on my '64 660 wagon were bad and I think it's a common area for rust on the Classic/Ambos.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 10:20am
The station wagons and 4 door sedans have a different windshield than other Ambos/Classics. It's 2 inches taller. Be sure you get one that fits wagons.

Also - you might want to gently remove that headliner and inspect what's going on to the underside of the roof. The gaskets of the roof rack often rot and water leaks in. I detect some tell-tale roof rot at the back of the roof over the tailgate window. Arrested decay is fine - but you might have a more compromised roof than you want. If you take the headliner out, you can treat it and prevent more of it. Taking the headliner out isn't odious. It's in two pieces. Remove all the trim from around the edges of it and lower it down. It's a two person job, but isn't awful. The headliner is a thin fiberglass shell covered in fabric.

Edited by SEdmonds - Aug/12/2014 at 10:25am
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 11:10am
Thanks for the info SEdmonds and RocklandRambler. Does the 4 door sedan glass fit the wagon? Or is it wagon only? I'll check the roof and cowl area when it gets here. I've been practicing my welding on my sister-in-law's jeep, so I'm fairly confident I can patch what I need to. I'll just have to take it slow so I don't warp the panels! That was less of a concern on her jeep!
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 1:18pm
I will have to check my notes on the restoration of my car (and I am at lunch at work), BUT I believe the wagons and the 4 door sedans used the same windshields.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 3:19pm
You definitely need a wiper motor mount plate.

Pull it out and you will probably find some rust there. You can treat it and fiberglas it unless it is major.
Both cowl corners need checked a probably some repair.

The roof is a common rust area in the south, I think due to leaking gaskets and condensation.

I'd give you a 69 232, but it is a bit far away from you.

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2014 at 12:37am
She's here!   Andrew dropped her off Saturday afternoon (thanks again, Andrew!)  I haven't been able to look her over very well just yet.  I made a promise to help my brother and sister-in-law with their Jeep.  I did take the transmission with us over to the garage and cleaned it up some.

Only one pic for now.  The rest are on the big camera and I need to get to bed.  I'll post those tomorrow.  This one's a kind of "before and after" on the transmission.  It was coated with a thick layer of grease, oil, and dirt.  Here's hoping it works and I didn't do all that scrubbing for nothing!

Ray
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2014 at 3:12pm
If it doesn't work that is still how clean you want it before rebuild.
Keep scrubbing!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic