TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

James Garner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James Garner
    Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 7:51am
Actor James Garner passed away yesterday at the age of 86. Best known as the Rockford Files star, but also team owner of the Baja SC/Rambler racing team in 1969.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 8:25am
He was a self made man, and a popular actor. He had a ton of guts, and was a veteran of WWII and Korea. He had two purple heart awards for combat in Korea. He raced, and raced our favorite AMC cars in a big way, contributing to their popularity, then and now.. Not many people could ever measure up to "Jim" and his deeds and accomplishments. For that,i salute you James Garner. You will be missed.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 8:53am
Although he was known for his latest role as Jim Rockford, we cannot forget his role in Maverick ar when he reprised that role in the Movie with Mel Gibson. And he was a star on the big screen as well with many movies to his credit. Yes, he will be missed.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 9:26am
Yes I am sorry to see him go....my all time favorite actor...the SC race cars was icing on the cake!!!!!!
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by idrambler idrambler wrote:

Yes I am sorry to see him go....my all time favorite actor...the SC race cars was icing on the cake!!!!!!

Ditto! Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
azfletch View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 10:28am
I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I had tried to interview him when researching the Hurst Equipped book as he was a significant figure to both Hurst and the AMC hobby. He was unavailable for the interview due to health reasons. I am told he has been sharing his life story for a biography being written about him.
All of the people who I spoke with about him spoke highly of him as an actor and friend.
RIP.
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 11:17am
The first car movie I ever watched (at age 15) was and still is one of the best racing movies of all time:
"Gran Prix" 1966
One of my favorite actors. Right up there with Steve McQueen & Paul Newman. Humm, all car guys Clap
RIP  MR Garner

Here's something I didn't know till I did a Google search this morning:

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 11:42am
One of the few Hollywood stars who did not seem to take humself too seriously and allowed himself to age gracefully. Murphy's Romance was a great movie, as was The Americanization of Emily, both outside the typical Hollywood money making format. I read his autobiography a year or so ago, I think it was called "The Garner Files". A good read, but no mention of his AMC affiliations. RIP.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 12:44pm
He was one of my favorite actors. Never came off as being "full of it". Certainly one of the many people I wish I could have met/meet.
Riverdale_Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverdale_Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 2:27pm
Garner was always a big Oakland Raiders fan too and I remember him on the Raiders sideline for many decades proudly wearing the black and silver.

Edited by Riverdale_Rambler - Jul/20/2014 at 3:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic