TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > In The Beginning..........
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

20 Years ago Romney at the AMO Convention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 Years ago Romney at the AMO Convention
    Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks to Eddie Stakes for posting this on The AMC List. George Romney former President of AMC speaks. 20 years ago AMC National Kenosha at The AMO convention, Denver, PA. Were you there? Fascinating insight from the TOP.  I wonder how many Forum members and their families are in these videos?  Some very profound observations in the second video.

Revised per ACTUAL/FACTUAL representation-Thanks Guys.

part 1

part 2

Edited by 70 Donohue 390 - Jul/16/2014 at 8:06pm
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
360MDJav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360MDJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 9:44pm
I was there but did not see George Romney speak. I saw that later when I bought the video.
I brought a Matador Red/Shadow mask '70 AMX to the show.

It was the Denver, PA meet in 1994.

Alan

Edited by 360MDJav - Jul/03/2014 at 9:47pm
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 1:15am
We saw him at the PA show. I thought he was great, but some people didn't.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 9:51am
The insight into amc was interesting other than that he is a typical wind bag politician....useless.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
ronte View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 12:31pm
George Romney speaking in Denver, PA meet in 1994.  I enjoyed the talk a lot!  The show too!  
It was a three club meet.  AMCRC, NAMDRA and AMO.  Drag Racing on Sunday!

How could that be twenty years ago?
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 3:48pm
That was our show! Yes hard to believe 20 years ago. That event took 22 months of intense planning. I'll just say that convincing 3 clubs to do one event was full of interesting stories..... But we pulled it off and had a great drag race event on Sunday as the afterglow!

I still remember my little 18 month old daughter dancing with Elvis at the Thursday night cruise like it was yesterday....

It was a privilege to have a once in a lifetime shot of not one but 3 AMC big name speakers for that event.

Today though the park is an unused, overgrown, and unkept facility. Tragic on that account.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 5:55pm
My wife and myself were there with her Rogue convert when it was mostly original. I took a lot of slides. I remember it was around 100 degrees, so you couldn't do much, but it was probably the best AMC show we've ever been too. I'll try to dig out the slides and start scanning them. Also have slides of Kenosha, probably in the late 80s(?) we drove out 12-14 hours in Wayne's first BBO AMX with 3:91 gears and Trendsetters. I think there were three AMX/3s there. Another great show!
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 6:14pm
I am there also, and I did talk briefly with George for a couple minutes. He did not remember much on his old AMC days and was more interested in his son trying to run again Ted Kennedy for senate in Massachusetts. I probably have photos from then also. Hard to believe it's been that long ago. Like most people memory fades after a couple decades. LRDaum  
LRDaum
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2014 at 7:23am
Rogue401 - LOL, yes the temperature was the only thing we could not control, and humidity here in PA in the mid summer is unbearable, but at least it didn't rain!

BTW - the banners for that show were stolen (or taken without permission...). If anyone knows the whereabouts of those banners, we would like to hear from you. They were the ones made special for the front of each host motel for AMO and AMCRC. There were taken sometime between dark on Saturday night and early Sunday morning. I guess we mistakenly thought all AMC people were honest folk, but were proven wrong. If you've seen them displayed somewhere we would appreciate hearing about them anonymously.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2014 at 9:08am
Two things struck me during the second video.  First when he mentions the coming influence of the Asian automakers other than the Japanese.  And now we have Kia and Hyunda.

I also am not one for the huge salaries that CEO's are paid but sometimes it appears they are worth it.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic