TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 Ambassador Convertible
    Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:11am
So I find myself at age 56 with 2 kids in college and one in high school (late start on the marriage/kid thing) looking for a serious mid life crisis ride. I have had a long history with AMC cars starting with a 72 Hornet 4door that was my car that I bought as a freshman in college for 200 bucks that I fixed up and put well over 100 thousand miles on it and years latter sold  for 600. I have also had several Sportabouts, a couple of AMXs and a Javelin. When I built my current home in 1996 I sold my 70 AMX (big mistake) and acquired a 67 Ambassador convertible that the whole family could fit in. It was a heavily optioned car and was rust free, but the previous owner had done a lot of hack work to it and at the time I did not have the resources to restore it so I sold it (another mistake) and acquired another one that I thought was better. (Never send your father in law to inspect a car that you are considering buying). So what I wound up with is another 67 Ambassador convertible that was recently painted and looked great from 50 feet away, but alas also needed a lot of work to be  the really nice car that I was looking for. I drove it on and off for 3 years and fixed some of the more pressing issues (brakes, some suspension issues ect) but for the past 7 years it has sat in storage while I attended to raising a family. Which brings me to the present day. After seriously considering several late model 2 seat convertibles (gotta have a drop top), I decided that the old Ambassador had a lot more style, will be cheaper in the long run, and I will be less likely to get a bunch of speeding tickets or wrap it around a utility pole, so the saga begins. It is green (paint code 59A), 343 4 barrel, column shift automatic, power steering and brakes with factory cruise and tilt. It also has an honest to goodness hump mounted AMC 8 track tape player and turbo cast wheel covers. So far I have pulled the engine and transmission for rebuilding, redone the entire front suspension including the steering gear, removed the entire interior and all of the front end sheet metal. I have encountered rust in the fender troughs, cowl and lower quarter panels so the next step is sending the body off to have the rust addressed. I am glad that in my search for parts that I stumbled across this forum as I have already been helped with advice and some parts as I resurrect this car. When I hit the magic 30 posts number I will post some pictures, and will be looking for advice as the process continues. What started out as a mild fix-up has now tuned into a major project (had to break the news to my wife in small doses), but I hope to have it complete and ready to enjoy next summer.   

Edited by fhpdave - Dec/18/2014 at 3:59pm
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:14am
Sounds like a nice project Dave. Can't wait to see your progress.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:26am
As I have dug into the car, there have been several times that I thought that this is a mistake, then I remember my other cars that I have sold and now regret, so its on we go. The tranny is done and the engine is ready to put back together. I have a new top and carpet, all new weatherstrip, an NOS fender as well as a bunch of other parts so there is no turning back now. My goal is to be at the national meet in Cleveland next year.
72 SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:32am
Funny how that happens. 
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by fhpdave fhpdave wrote:

My goal is to be at the national meet in Cleveland next year.
Sounds like a plan. Cleveland should be a lot of fun.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
hitman33dp View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 12:18pm
Dave, most of us probably know the angst of planning something small to do with our cars, then leading into an all out restoration. Good luck with you project and I can't wait to see it.
74 "NOT A REAL AMX" Javelin / 2 x 74 Javelins / 71 Javelin SST
1966ambassador View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1966ambassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 3:41pm
Love the 67' Ambo. Sounds like a good project. Good luck.

Jordan
1966 Ambassador 990 Sedan w/ 4 barrel 327 5.3L
http://s31.photobucket.com/user/JordanPerry98/library/1966%20Ambassador?sort=3&page=1
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 9:22pm
Oh yes I know the snow ball effect all too well Wacko
Yes get the magic 30 posts we want to see pictures
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 11:30pm
Open a photobucket account and you can forgo the 30 posts! Then you can post pictures on any of the other AMC forums also!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2014 at 7:24pm
Good luck with the convertible project. These are truly rare cars in every sense. I have a 67 DPL hardtop that I bought new and have sold and bought back several times over the years. I also had a very nice black 67 convertible for about 20 years that I sold about 5 years ago. The last time I saw it it was posted for sale on Future Classics' web site, a specialty car dealer in Lakewood NJ. I have a strong knowledge base on these cars and the 67's in particular. if you run across something that you can't figure out I'd be glad to help you.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic