TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 6:43am
Well the winter is almost over and time for a few adjustments and fixes. So me and some buddies tackled them on Saturday.

Last year after getting the Jeep running on about the 4th start it shucked a flexplate ring gear tooth. So we pulled the tranny and replaced the flexplate and will send the other back to Reactor Products for repair and I will have a spare.

I had a leak from the transfer case from day one. So while the tranny/xfer case was out I checked for the issue. We found that when the transmission shop rebuilt the transfer case they neglected to install the gasket between the transfer case tranny adapter. Added gasket and hopefully problem solved.

The transmission had a low shift from 1-2 at 4800. So I purchased a B&M 20248 Governor Recalibration Kit. I disassembled the governor and found the both OEM weights were about 11.1g. So, I installed #4 (8.1g) and #5 (6.3g) weights and the yellow & orange spring. Based on correlations with what other had seen, I thought this would get me close to my 5800 target. A test drive on Sunday yielded a 5700 shift point. Probably dumb luck.

The last issue was that I never could get the shift linkage from the Winters shifter to the TH400 set right. In the gate from R to D it would go into R and not D unless I moved to the D to 2 gate and pulled a little further, or vice-versa. I had found some backlash in the shift lever on the side of the tranny and suspected the shift comb was loose on the shaft. We found a loose nut, but when we removed the shaft and comb, we also found the flats on the shaft to be slight rounded. So, we added a small weld bead to the shaft and filed the flats back. On reassembly we added some blue thread locker to the comb nut as well. Works perfectly now. Sorry no pictures.

Should now be ready for Mopars and the Rock on April 4 and Jeep Beach at Daytona!
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
Wolfeman64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 7:43am
I have always hated prop sticks for hoods. So with a little CAD work and a good sheet metal shop with a laser cutter, I made a bracket to put on the back side of the hood hinge to receive a gas spring. I then used a 1" stainless split collar mounted to the 1" hood struts for the other end. This give a point of adjustment for the open position of the hood. I drilled and tapped the collar for the ball stud. The gas spring has about a 5" stroke and is rated at 70lbs. Works great and no more prop stick. BTW, yes it is missing a nut on the hood bracket, I was test fitting and will remove to polish.

"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 5:23pm
Nice
I am thinking the hood is glass if only using 1 prop but still will it twist?
Do you have room by the master to fit a 2nd one?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice
I am thinking the hood is glass if only using 1 prop but still will it twist?
Do you have room by the master to fit a 2nd one?
Dave ----

Dave thanks!

I had originally planned on two, but there is an interference with the hydroboost if I put a mirror image of the bracket on the other hinge. So, for now it works well and I will just use the one. But as with all projects, its a work in motion.

Nat
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 8:21pm
I hope that I found the last leak today. I have had a slight oil leak and kept thinking it was from the plug, but it had a copper washer and it shouldn't leak. Well I was changing the oil today before taking it to the drags at Rockingham tomorrow, Mopars at the Rock. I cleaned the plug good and looked for the problem, well it wasn't hard to miss. Look at the good quality of the plug sealing face, now this is a Milodon pan. You can notice the crater on the face and the leak marks on the copper washer. I replaced the plug and hopefully all is well.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 8:23pm
Well todays visit to Mopars at the Rock was a lot of fun. Got 1st place in the AMC/Jeep category and lose in the semi-finals of the drag race with a double breakout by a margin of victory of .0016, but it was my best time at the Jeep to date 12.32 @ 105. I think the tranny governor recalibration worked.

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58I7beommZg
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 9:08am
It just keeps getting BETTER!!!!!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 9:25am
Originally posted by amx600rr amx600rr wrote:

It just keeps getting BETTER!!!!!

This big gain was mostly due to the recalibration of the transmission governor from a shift point at 4800 to 5700 (see above).

Jerry, I will be at Jeep Beach later this month. Didn't know if you are going, I thought I remembered you having a Jeep when we spoke in Ocala.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - Apr/05/2015 at 9:28am
gntim View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gntim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 6:36pm
Nice! That's a great 60 foot time. Were you in 4wd?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by gntim gntim wrote:

Nice! That's a great 60 foot time. Were you in 4wd?

Not bad for off-road tires in 2WD. The tires actually hook pretty well with a good working 3600(4400 flash)stall converter. I thought about pulling the 4WD lever, but have never launch in 4WD and didn't want to puke anything on the line.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
  Share Topic