TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod
    Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:19am
Well, here I am, new to the forum, but not AMC Jeep's. I have never been a 'look at me' kind of person. I am who I am, you can like or not like, that is your choice not mind. But I am honest to a fault and don't mind giving my honest opinion. I have a lot of passions in life, but one of my first was Jeeps, four wheeling and hot rodding those jeeps. I grew up on a farm and I am mechanically apt, which lead to taking the Jeep apart and putting back together a little better. I will share some pictures of these previous Jeeps ago the way.

My last Jeep I sold in 1992 and have been without since then. I had been looking at building a replica AC Cobra (this will happen), but my wife convinced me to build a Jeep. She said that since I had Jeeps in the past, it would be more fun to have a Jeep with our two kids. She made a great point.

Sooo... now for the reason of this post. As I said, I am not a 'look at me' kind of person, but this Jeep build is worthy of a thread. Mostly for the Jeep and the people I have met ago the way.

Therefore, the build began with a purchase of a '79 CJ7 304 3 speed.

Doesn't look bad, but steering, brakes and clutch needed work.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - Aug/09/2016 at 8:04am
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
Wolfeman64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:21am
BTW, I will make lots of post to get past the magic 30!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:22am
Also, the purchase was in August 2012.

A tenth of the way there!!!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:35am
Well, after the purchase, I had to make a business trip to Saudi Arabia via Dubai.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19084701/2012-11-03%2016.56.16.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19084701/2012-11-03%2017.20.26.jpg

...man that's a tall building.

Getting those post done.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:41am
Sorry, pasted in the wrong place.

Post, post, post...
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:56am
Well, after some review of jeep, I made some decisions. The body had a lot of 'cancer', some hidden with body panels put in with RTV and covered with bedliner material. Other panels tacked over rusted panels and sprayed with a quality Maaco finish.

This is all fixable, I had made the decision to make this thing as close to a new modern Jeep as possible with all the great looks of the CJ's. Therefore, I decided to do a fiberglass body. Had one back in the late '80's and liked it.

Edited by Wolfeman64 - May/18/2014 at 10:01am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:12am
I then found part of the reason for the bad steering. At some point the chassis on the drivers side had been bent and the weld nuts for the spring shackle mounts were broken loose.

Again, this could be fixed, but CJ chassis are notoriously flexi. Therefore, decision two, new mandle bent tube steel chassis.
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:32am
You da man! Keep her alive! It just takes time and moola!!!!!!!
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:42am
I have a buddy that I helpped do a glass body on his 72 CJ5 304/3 sp stick. At first he stayed with steel fenders, then glass then tilt nose when he started racing it off road.

Keep going we are with you on this one.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:46am
In March of 2013 a buddy of mine (Bobby McDowall aka Streetwise from Moparts and others) made a trip up to Ohio to look at fiberglass bodies at both Kentrol and 4WD Hardware. On my previous Jeep I had a 4WD Hardware body and was probably heading in that direction. My first visit was to 4WD Hardware. The people were nice, but since Tom Kennedy's death and sell of the business, it is very corporate. Oh yea, in late March in Ohio it snows.

The next morning we made a visit to Kentrol to see Tom Troll. He is the first in a long list of great people I have met on this journey. After seeing the quality of their bodies, I was sold. Great steel in the firewall and all body mounts are steel plates. Tom was not there, but I met his brother Charlie, which runs the molding department. There were a couple of areas that I wanting to get reinforced and Charlie agreed to make the changes a start on my body the following week.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic