TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wolfeman64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod
    Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by idrambler idrambler wrote:

Did a tour of the Snake Pit while attending the AMC show in Vegas in Nov 2014...very impressive...

Yes, very cool place. The guy with me is painter and had done some painting at their old shop when he was in NASCAR. He knew the painter at Shelby American and we got a casual unofficial shop tour. They had some 1000hp stangs on the chassis dyno, very impressive!

"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 9:20pm
With all of the heat last summer, I kept having an overheating issue on the real hot days. It was fine idling or short burst of WOT, but at cruising speed the temp would just creep. Tried changing the fan shrouding, but with no luck. Came to the conclusion that the radiator was just to small. The original radiator is a Novak custom, which is very well made, but not designed for 550hp.

So a friend of a friend with family at Fluidyne made a new custom radiator and oil cooler. The radiator is based on a dirt modified core with 20% more rows and 15, instead of 10, fins per inch. I had to redesign the floating radiator bracket and make some fan support brackets. Nutserts were installed to couple the oil cooler to the radiator and sandwich the support bracket. A two pass oil cooler was used to place the connections near the oil filter sandwich adapter to reduce the line requirements. The sandwich adapter is a thermostatic unit from Earls.

I ran the jeep pretty hard this past weekend and the temp never exceeded 184° (180° thermostat). I believe the problem is solved, but only the heat of the summer will tell.

"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 9:12pm
Did a tour of the Snake Pit while attending the AMC show in Vegas in Nov 2014...very impressive...
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 8:55pm
Well it has been awhile since I posted. Last September the Jeep got invited to the Sherwin Williams booth at Barrett Jackson Las Vegas. Took it over to Shelby American to see the snake it ate. (This jeep project was in place of a cobra project).

Numeral Uno Cobra

Met Steve Darnell from Vegas Rat Rods, very cool guy.

He invited us over to his shop.

And he took the Jeep out for a spin.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Lenni AMC Lenni AMC wrote:

What cam are you using in the 442 cui ?

Lenni, sorry about the delayed response. I never got notified of your post. Anyway, the cam is a custom grounded hydraulic roller from Comp. Lifters are from Bullet.

Intake 236° @ .050", .608"
Exhaust 245° @ .050", .612"
Lobe Separation 108°
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 1:31am
What cam are you using in the 442 cui ?

AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 12:10pm
I´ll think my next US-Holiday should go down south.. see some cool jeeps and amc´s

Whats the best season, for somebody who hates hot and humid weather? LOL

Never made it in the south, thats some kind of Gap in my USA Map.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by badboytino badboytino wrote:

Just followed your build and I have to say it was awesome! Love the attention to detail in everything that was done. Kuddos to you. Someone posted that you're selling? If its true, what would something like that run? Again, awesome build!

Thanks for reading the build and appreciate the kind words. I like things done right, but not over done. I like for people to say, I know their is something different, but I can't put my finger on it.

Nope, it is not for sell. Too much blood, sweat and beers! I think you made have seen the quote about Blown7's motor that is for sell.

thanks again, Nat
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfeman64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Blown7 Blown7 wrote:

Originally posted by Wolfeman64 Wolfeman64 wrote:

[QUOTE=Blown7]

Again, nice engine. Good luck selling it, but I have to ask why?

Well because I've been playing with the new Hemi's in the Jeep SRT's for the last 7 years I want to re  engine the CJ with a new 3rd Gen Hemi like the new Hellcat based 6.2 L.

The blower is nice and really cool but because I use this CJ as a daily driver in New England it gets tiring to have to cover the Bugcatcher every time I park it for fear of hydrolock. So the next build will keep everything under the hood with a Whipple supercharger.

The Gen 3 Hemi aftermarket Thitek head is so good that I have to think that I could have 1000HP before Nitrous. And because the Hemi still keeps the Jeep in factory classes I can still race Gen 3 Hemi series.

So thats the plan in the future for me.

Good luck with the Hemi build. I look forward to seeing the results!
badboytino View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badboytino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 3:12am
Just followed your build and I have to say it was awesome! Love the attention to detail in everything that was done. Kuddos to you. Someone posted that you're selling? If its true, what would something like that run? Again, awesome build!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic