TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Style Power steering pump installed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Style Power steering pump installed
    Posted: May/02/2014 at 4:38pm
Just wanted to show my new TC/Type 2 power steering pump.

This all started thanks to ColoradoAMX for his initial information on the bracket that's available from Control freaks suspension.
After the Control Freaks bracket and pulley, I went and got a custom power steering pump from CJR Products. CJR also set me up with the fittings that go in the power steering box to use AN-6 lines between the box and pump.

I then ordered custom crimped lines from Brown & Miller racing for both the high pressure and return line. Toped it all of with a belt, which took only two trips to the parts store.
Pictured below is the result. Just a test fit for now, but it all fits very nicely.

Edited by 343sharpstick - May/02/2014 at 7:07pm
Purpleheart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 12:33am
I'm about to install the same pump and bracket from Control Freaks . Do you remember how long your v - belt is (no A/C) ? Does the pulley just press on until it bottoms out ?

Paul

Edited by Purpleheart - Feb/21/2015 at 12:42am
Best time 10.38, Best mph 128.73, Best 60ft 1.38
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 6:40am
Mike, do you have part numbers for the fittings you used on the steering box? I have not made up my hoses yet. Nice valve covers by the way.

Paul, I have not pick up the second belt yet but with the Sanden compressor it will be about 57.5 inches.
Press the pulley on until the tip of the shaft is even with the front of the pulley.

Edited by pit crew - Feb/21/2015 at 7:00am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 8:09am
Just curious, what are the benefits of the newer pump?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by EagleFreek EagleFreek wrote:

Just curious, what are the benefits of the newer pump?
Just one more option if your not in to the Eaton or Saginaw pumps. The one piece bracket saves you from hunting down old bracket parts if you don't happen to have them on hand. It is compact and not bad looking. I am sure Mike and Paul have their opinions too.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 12:32pm
Same thing that is on a jeep, nothing special, you can pull the tank and put a remote tank on it,
with a little work.

How is the adjustment setup on it, can't tell from the pix.
Could not find the bracket on his web site, Mite be cheaper to buy one then make it.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Feb/21/2015 at 12:46pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

Just wanted to show my new TC/Type 2 power steering pump.

This all started thanks to ColoradoAMX for his initial information on the bracket that's available from Control freaks suspension.
After the Control Freaks bracket and pulley, I went and got a custom power steering pump from CJR Products. CJR also set me up with the fittings that go in the power steering box to use AN-6 lines between the box and pump.

I then ordered custom crimped lines from Brown & Miller racing for both the high pressure and return line. Toped it all of with a belt, which took only two trips to the parts store.
Pictured below is the result. Just a test fit for now, but it all fits very nicely.

The way the presure hose goes forward over the pulley, I thought for a minute I was looking at one of the pics of my steering pump. This one has been modified internally and works way better than a Saginaw or Eaton pump. And lighter weight too.

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 11:11pm
Looks like Nascar type that AGR? offers. If that's the company ( a company with three letters as I recall) they offer a racing looking one with iron pump and only 3.2 hp draw and an aluminum pump version. As Menace says , the one pictured is head and shoulders above the Eaton or Saginaw or even later Jeep Cherokee one, though the reservoiron this one bears a passing resemblance to that one.

Steve
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Looks like Nascar type that AGR? offers. If that's the company ( a company with three letters as I recall) they offer a racing looking one with iron pump and only 3.2 hp draw and an aluminum pump version. As Menace says , the one pictured is head and shoulders above the Eaton or Saginaw or even later Jeep Cherokee one, though the reservoiron this one bears a passing resemblance to that one.

Steve

You got it Steve, AGR race pump! The pump does look exactly like the one on my 91 XJ Cherokee other than the pulley. The guy at AGR talked me out of the more expensive aluminum reservoir. He said the reservoir mounted on the pump (fiberglass composite) actually keeps the fluid cooler than if there was a remote aluminum reservoir mounted to the inner wheel well.

Dennis 
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 11:39am
There was a great article a few years back in hot rod that went over the different factory designs of this pump. Here is the link: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1308-2008-dodge-challenger-rescue/. Nice to have the ability to mount up without fabricating everything. Thanks for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic