TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

14x8 wheels too wide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14x8 wheels too wide?
    Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 7:08pm
The aluminum slots I picked up at the swap meet are all 14x8s. Two of them have 3 in backspace and two are 3 1/2 in backspace. Can this fit under my 69 javelin or do I need to look for some smaller ones? If they will fit what size tires?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 7:46pm
I would say if you have the wheels jack up 1 side and see if they will fit front & rear.
Then you can measure the area around the wheel to see what size tire will fit.

Once you have the area measurement you can use this site http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html  for tire sizing and tire rack.com for tires in that size and the wheel it will fit. As a guess a tire to fit the wheel would be 235/60/14

BTW why 14"? Have you looked for tires in a 14" size? Try to find the 235/60/14 size
Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 9:34pm
Yeah, a 14x8 is a cool wheel, but hard to find a tire for, esp the whole way around. 245/60/14s I think are still obtainable and great for the rear.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 6:55am
You have two problems to solve and both are in my opinion solvable.  The back space requirements have to be deal with and that can be handled by using a wheel spacer such as this one.

http://tireshopsupplies.com/wheel-accessories/wheel-adapters/spacers/5-lug-adapters/set-of-two-5-x-4.5-to-5-x-4.5-wheel-adapters-/-1-spacers?zenid=cu9n1sr9mjinglndqn15htgbq6

Note that it can be had in sizes up to 3 inches thick and can be used to center your wheel and tire combination to take advantage of the room available.

As to tire sizes available for a given rim width, places like Tire Rack dot com can help you select something that will work, usually a given tire will "work" with a rim with range of +/- one inch, that is a range of 2 inches and by contacting them with your needs they can help you select a tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Tire sizes and what will work answers have changed a lot since AMC built cars so some of the low profile tires might very well be available in 14 inch sizes.  However the wheel size has changed so a lot of the 14 inch tires that were made are no longer made.
My 2007 Chrysler takes 17 inch tires for example.  Using the above information I will be mounting P235 x 35 x 19 inch wheel and tires on my 1976 Hornet sportabout.  and they are 10 inches wide.  It uses 5 x 4.5 lug spacing which is the same for example as a Ford Mustang.  But back in the day the back spacing was pretty much compatible.  Now the back spacing for a rear wheel drive car is very much similar to that of a front wheel drive car so spacers are needed to make them fit if the source of the wheel is from a new Mustang.  Old mustang wheels just bolt in place.

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/28/2014 at 9:25am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 7:14am
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Yeah, a 14x8 is a cool wheel, but hard to find a tire for, esp the whole way around. 245/60/14s I think are still obtainable and great for the rear.
Yes they as are the 235/60/14 from ONLY one tire Co. B.F.Goodrich
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 8:23am
I'll get out there today and put the wheels on one side to see if there is any room left for a tire.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 6:26pm
I've got 235/60x14 all the way around on our 70 Javelin on 9" rims w/no problem. It's close on the lower corner of both fenders and had to adjust slightly when doing the alignment.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2014 at 7:48pm
Hey 70amcpwr,did you have to do any thing to the suspension (ride height) to get them to fit?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 6:08am
I've got 14 x 8 all round on my 69, but with 4.5" backspacing 224/50 on the front and 265/50 on the back. The backspacing you have will stick the wheels out further, which may or may not work.

Texas275 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 7:07am
Thats what I'm afraid of, that they won't sit deep enough under the car, thus hitting the fenders.  I dont have tires on them now, and don't want to buy any if they are not going to fit.  Just hoping someone knew for sure if they would work.  I didn't get a chance to pull the wheels off and test fit them yet.  Maybe I can get to that this evening.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic