TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX got keyed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2016 at 1:33pm
Buster, I thought they would be brass bushings also, but I took apart 4 door hinges and all of them were plastic. I thought the first hinges I took apart had possibly been rebuilt and they used plastic bushings, but when I took the other ones apart they had the same plastic bushings. Trust me, they are plastic and not brass.
74 "NOT A REAL AMX" Javelin / 2 x 74 Javelins / 71 Javelin SST
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2016 at 10:02pm
Sorry my bad, I believe you They definitely look like they need rebuilt. Keep up the good work. Enjoying following along.
hitman33dp View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 12:04am
haha! I didn't mean to sound like I was mad at you about it. Quite the contrary, I am still trying to figure it out myself because I have always been told the bushings are brass from the factory. But either way, I will be ordering new ones from APD this weekend.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 12:17pm
Wow. Going on close to 6 years since I last posted an update on this car. Hopefully that will change soon. In the past 6 years I have had neck surgery and back issues. I have tried a few times to block sand on the car, but an hour or two of block sanding turns into a week or two of back and neck pain. My now 13 year old son has taken interest in the 74 AMX, so I gave him the car. He is eager to get the project going again. I hope he stays interested and we can work on this together...with the understanding he has to do the block sanding!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 3:34pm
The machinist I chose to use because he was a friend of several friends of mine and has had a good reputation, only knock on him is that he is a little slow getting things out the door, has had the 360 for this car for 5 years. When I dropped it off the original agreement was to magnuflux block and heads and check everything out. The block was in good shape, just needing honed, the original 360 heads had a crack on one of them, the crank needed ground -.10. Found a set 0f 401 heads and took him those. He cleaned and magnafuxed them and they were good, just needed a valve job/hardened seats. He was going to install new main bearings and cam bearings also, then balance the it. He said he might have it a few months, I told him to take his time, hadn't painted the car yet so wasn't a big deal. Then I wound up having neck surgery. Talked to him several times after the surgery and he was moving shop locations and moving into a shop in back of a big car dealership that has a racing team. He was still going to be his own machine shop, but would also work on their engines as part of his lease. He wanted to make sure it was ok that he took my engine with him and we discussed him just building the engine for me since I was struggling with neck and back issues. He was all for it and I took him the rest of the engine parts, he was going to provide bearings, piston rings, cam, roller rockers, etc. I paid him in advance.   Fast forward to now. I asked him at the end of last year after I gave my son this car if he was going to be able to complete the build over the winter so we could hopefully get it in the car when the engine bay is completed? He told me to come get the engine because he didn't have time to do it now, they have him so busy building race engines that he doesn't do anymore outside machining now. When I asked him about a refund since I prepaid him...crickets for months. In April after hounding him for 4 months, he finally responded that his records indicated he owed me a few hundred dollars, I paid him $1350. I was able to provide receipts for $1250 of it and sent him copies, minus the $100 payment I still cannot locate. Didn't hear anything back again until Friday of last week, July 22, 2022 when he finally responded that he had my engine and a refund check ready for pick up. I immediately drove the 30 miles to his shop and he handed me a refund check for $1050, minus $200 for magnaflux and cleaning. I was ok with that, in the meantime his new assistants loaded my engine and parts into my truck. I made sure everything was there as far as a quick once over and left. When I got back to my work I started looking things over closer with my boss' father-in-law who is a car guy and always stops by and knows my situation and knows the machinist. We found out that after he cleaned the block and heads around 5 years ago he has let them sit and the rust is creeping. Now we have to find a new machinist. The good thing is that now my son would like to learn how to rebuild the engine, so hopefully we can have someone do what we originally planned, hone the cylinders, valve job/hardened seats on the heads, turn the crank, and install new bearings. My question is, what is the best way to help prevent it from rusting anymore until I can get a machinist figured out? We sprayed it with PB blaster when I got it home to try and help because that is about all I had on hand that I could think that may help.

Edited by hitman33dp - Jul/28/2022 at 3:48pm
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 10:47am

My son decided that he needed to get the AMX, now his AMX, out of the garage on a nice day and get it cleaned off and started block sanding again.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 10:50am
He is a little bigger than when we started this project!

WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2023 at 12:24am
Wow, cool project! Hopefully your son can get it on the road soon so he can take it to prom in a few years! lol 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2023 at 2:21pm

He learned how to use Platigage and check bearing clearance. We got the crank installed. Ran out of time for the rod bearings, hopefully this weekend will be nice again.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitman33dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2023 at 11:24pm
WhatISit, are you the Faster N Louder guy we have been watching on YouTube lately? We found your channel about a month ago and have been watching the old episodes. I enjoy watching it because I think any of us trying to go through this process feel your pain and frustration! It definitely reminds me of our project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic