TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water Pump bearing failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump bearing failure
    Posted: Feb/24/2014 at 10:37pm
Back in September I lost the water pump Bearing which sent the fan flying into the Radiator. I attributed this failure due to a 2 inch extension needed to get the fan in the right spot under the lip of the shroud. 
At that time I replaced the Radiator, belt and water pump, I also reconfigured the set up to do away with the extension. I used a Weiand high flow water pump. The front pump bearing is now wiggling again after only a few hundred miles. Is there some other factor I'm missing that is causing this? Is the belt too thick or over tightened and straining the bearing? Should I have another accessory to balance the pressure out?I'm only running an alternator. 

All the pulleys and belt, water pump are from the same car I just deleted the un-needed accessories. Here are some photos so you know what I'm talking about. Any advice is welcome. I had considered taking it to a machine shop to check the balance of the individual pieces. 

59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2014 at 10:41pm
The last Pic is a video. Also the belt seems to be tightened the correct amount. 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2014 at 8:13am
In two of your pictures it looks like that belt is slightly out of alignment, but it might be the camera angle.

That type of belt is less tolerant of mis-aligned pulleys than a v-belt system.    Get on a belt web site and see how to judge tension, and how much to use on the different types of belts.

Maybe you fan is out of balance, has a bent blade.

I've been replacing any engine turned fans on all my cars with electric fans for over 30 years, one of the side benefits of that has been increased water pump life.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2014 at 10:45am
If I recall correctly you should have about 1/2"deflection on the longest length of belt between pulleys.

I'm not sure you have enough contact area on the waterpump pulley.

That being said, if it is not overheating and the tension is correct then you likely just got a bum pump.

Not the most unusual thing in the world.
Should have warranty from Weiand?
try another one.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2014 at 8:53am
There does appear to be a slight misalignment from the alt to the water pump. The car is so over cooled that even in the summer in traffic it won't go over 180 degrees. I do hope it's just a bum water pump but want to cover my bases. Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic