TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Yes, Another 73 Hornet hatchbach.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes, Another 73 Hornet hatchbach.
    Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 3:04am
 How many of these things were made in 73? Seems everyone has one on here. LOL! Well I cant Crypost pics quite yet but almost there. So I decided to get this thing started anyways. I have  started the teardown and stripped the paint from the roof, quarters, rockers and hatch then sprayed them with Nason Epoxy Sealer. Found small patches welded in the rear quarters that will need addressing soon. It was a black with black interior and black vynile top. Previous owner removed the top and painted it BBB. It has power steering and brakes along with disc brakes. Power is supplied by a 6 cyl. and 904 tranny. I have taken many pics as I progress and will share costs and part numbers as I go. 14 more posts till I can post them. Sorry.

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 6:27am
If it was originally black on black (door tag should tell you) then I'm pretty sure that was a special order as I don't believe black was a standard color on the '73 Hornet. According the "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975" AMC produced 40,110 Hornet hatchbacks in '73. Good luck with your project.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 11:46am
AMC sold quite a few of them.   I had a teacher who bought one. It was yellow, and I remember she was so proud of it because it was her first new car. She took the class out to look at it.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 1:36pm
Sounds like a great project! If you have photos on a host site like Photobucket, put the link here. We'll be eager to follow along. The '73 Hatchback was a very well received product by the automotive press and the general public. It made a couple of magazine covers back in the day.

Triple black would have been quite rare indeed! 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 2:34pm
These are really nice cars. Beautiful lines, perfect proportions and tasteful application of trim. I had a 73 Hatchback X that I special ordered in the spring of 73. It was dark brown, black vinyl roof with the 360 and automatic. Fully loaded up, factory air, all the toys. I sold it in the fall of 73 to a fellow in South Jersey. Lost track of it about 2 years later. I'd be curious if it's still around. probably not, but with all the options and the 360 it may have had a chance of someone holding on to it.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 5:42pm
They're a nice proportioned car and they drive well.   Same suspension as the Javelin, same motors, but 300 lbs. lighter.   
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 5:50pm
Im the first person to completely take it apart and the factory black paint is everywhere. When I str
ipped the roof you can see the old areas where the spot welded studs were for the top trim. If I list the numbers can someone decode them for me?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by dragdak dragdak wrote:

Im the first person to completely take it apart and the factory black paint is everywhere. When I str
<DIV abp="819">ipped the roof you can see the old areas where the spot welded studs were for the top trim. If I list the numbers can someone decode them for me?

Sure.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 11:19pm
Thanks guys for all your comments and info. I had planned on installing a narrowed 8 3/4 and 15x12 rims with 29x15.5-15 tires. But maybe its worth restoring. I have the orignal motor and tranny and they still work great. What you guys think? Also the way the vynle top was put on is like nothing I have seen before. Anybody have pics of what it should look like?
dragdak View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragdak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 11:39pm
 Oh ya, I will post the numbers in the morning. Thanks again!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic