TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Formulation of AMC cast iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 5:09pm
I dropped a 258 crank on my friggen nose. Ever since that day I get all glossy eyed when I see a 6 cyl engine.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

BBM is heavy!! Crank, rods, pistons. Unnecessary. 800 gram pistons, 900 gram rods and a 100 lb crank. The only thing heavier I have worked on is the Gen II Hemi. You have to get rid of some weight to make big numbers, but the potential is there.

Yeah, but ask Steve McQueen how hard it was for his breathed-on 4-speed, big block, 390 '67 Mustang to keep up with the bad guy(Bill Hickman- my hero) 440 big block,Torqueflight 3-speed, two man hauling '68 Charger in 'Bullitt'.Wink

Steve
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 5:57pm
Is there a story online about that, Steve?

Link?
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:02pm
The 440 was a hard motor to beat. Period. That small port head worked to its advantage and the low end torque was awesome.

Only car I ever had that you could pull away from a stop light while still in fourth gear.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:15pm
I managed to kill more than a dozen SBCs in a short period of time. Replaced them finally with a warmed over 230 inline 6. (when I first head about Clifford 6=8) and never went back
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:29pm
Minor correction: McQueen's '68 Mustang.
The Charger is a 4 speed- so much for memory

For entertainment and info on the choreography between Steve and Bill:
McQueen fun facts:
Charger(s)and Mustang(s)prep details:
Charger camera car musings:
Charger survivor story:
Hickman fan fun:

Steve

nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:36pm
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:40pm
In the beginning of that youtube video, I like how Hickman went into the corner smoother than McQueen.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Thanks.

I found this one and am reading it now.

http://drive-my.com/en/test-drive/item/1622-bullitt-and-steve-mcqueens-ford-mustang-390-gt-vs-dodge-charger-440r-t.html
So am I. 

Elsewhere you'll trip across a few Bullitt 'stang clones, a Charger clone, and quite a few entertaining chase scene reenactments on YouTube.

Steve
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

In the beginning of that youtube video, I like how Hickman went into the corner smoother than McQueen.
That's because he was secure in the knowledge that the engine block was at the upper end of the Brinnell hardness scale at 229.Wink

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic